From: Garrett Smith on
kangax wrote:
> On 1/7/10 7:00 PM, FAQ server wrote:
>> FAQ Topic - How do I run a server side script?
>>
>> You trigger a server-side script by sending an HTTP request.
>> This can be acheived by setting the ` src ` of an ` img `,

fix spelling: achieved.

>> ` Image `, ` frame `, or ` iframe `,
>> or by using XHR.

or by using `XMLHttpRequest`, where supported, tested as:

var IS_NATIVE_XHR = typeof XMLHttpRequest != "undefined";

>> An image will also
>> "swallow" the data sent back by the server, so that they will
>> not be visible anywhere.
>>
>> var dummyImage = new Image();
>> dummyImage.src = "scriptURL.asp?param=" + varName;
>>
>> Mozilla, Opera 7.6+, Safari 1.2+, and Windows IE 7
>
> Wouldn't it make sense to also mention that IE7 (and 8) only provide
> `XMLHttpRequest` when corresponding feature is enabled in browser?

Where supported. [[HasProperty]] test (`in` operator) fails in IE.
--
Garrett
From: kangax on
On 1/9/10 1:49 AM, Garrett Smith wrote:
> kangax wrote:
>> On 1/7/10 7:00 PM, FAQ server wrote:
>>> FAQ Topic - How do I run a server side script?
[...]
>>> An image will also
>>> "swallow" the data sent back by the server, so that they will
>>> not be visible anywhere.
>>>
>>> var dummyImage = new Image();
>>> dummyImage.src = "scriptURL.asp?param=" + varName;
>>>
>>> Mozilla, Opera 7.6+, Safari 1.2+, and Windows IE 7
>>
>> Wouldn't it make sense to also mention that IE7 (and 8) only provide
>> `XMLHttpRequest` when corresponding feature is enabled in browser?
>>

> Where supported. [[HasProperty]] test (`in` operator) fails in IE.

Yes, `in` can be misleading.
<http://twitter.com/kangax/status/7447765023>

--
kangax
From: Jorge on
On Jan 9, 6:45 am, kangax <kan...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On 1/7/10 10:11 PM, Jorge wrote:
>
> > On Jan 8, 1:00 am, "FAQ server"<javascr...(a)dotinternet.be>  wrote:
> >> XMLHttpRequest ` can send HTTP requests to
> >> the server (...)
>
> > I would like to propose ~ this:
>
> > XMLHttpRequest can send HTTP requests only to the same domain and port
> > from where current page came from (as seen in the current
> > location.host and location.port), and using the same protocol (the
> > current location.protocol).
>
> Not if environment supports Cross-Origin Resource Sharing standard
> (currently draft —http://www.w3.org/TR/cors/), and all prerequisites
> are met (e.g. server response' headers indicate request allowance).

Yep, what about something ~ like this:

In some (newer as of 2009) browsers, cross-domain XMLHttpRequests are
allowed, but that's just half of the story as for a cross-domain XHR
to complete successfully the target domain's server must have been
configured to cooperate by expressly setting a predefined header in
the response.

?

> Firefox 3.5+ does (https://developer.mozilla.org/En/HTTP_Access_Control).

Safari >= 4 does:
http://www.google.com/search?q=%22Cross-Site+Requests%22+site:developer.apple.com
--
Jorge.
From: kangax on
On 1/9/10 5:16 AM, Jorge wrote:
> On Jan 9, 6:45 am, kangax<kan...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I would like to propose ~ this:
>>
>>> XMLHttpRequest can send HTTP requests only to the same domain and port
>>> from where current page came from (as seen in the current
>>> location.host and location.port), and using the same protocol (the
>>> current location.protocol).
>>
>> Not if environment supports Cross-Origin Resource Sharing standard
>> (currently draft �http://www.w3.org/TR/cors/), and all prerequisites
>> are met (e.g. server response' headers indicate request allowance).
>
> Yep, what about something ~ like this:
>
> In some (newer as of 2009) browsers, cross-domain XMLHttpRequests are
> allowed, but that's just half of the story as for a cross-domain XHR
> to complete successfully the target domain's server must have been
> configured to cooperate by expressly setting a predefined header in
> the response.
>
> ?

Sounds alright.

>> Firefox 3.5+ does (https://developer.mozilla.org/En/HTTP_Access_Control).
>
> Safari>= 4 does:
> http://www.google.com/search?q=%22Cross-Site+Requests%22+site:developer.apple.com

Ah, thanks, good to know
(<http://developer.apple.com/safari/library/documentation/AppleApplications/Conceptual/SafariJSProgTopics/Articles/XHR.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40006227-SW8>)
<-- that's one monstrous URL they've got there.

There's also XDomainRequest in IE
(<http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd573303%28VS.85%29.aspx>). I
haven't looked into it yet.

--
kangax
From: Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn on
Jorge wrote:

> On Jan 9, 6:45 am, kangax <kan...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > I would like to propose ~ this:
>> >
>> > XMLHttpRequest can send HTTP requests only to the same domain and port
>> > from where current page came from (as seen in the current
>> > location.host and location.port), and using the same protocol (the
>> > current location.protocol).
>>
>> Not if environment supports Cross-Origin Resource Sharing standard
>> (currently draft —http://www.w3.org/TR/cors/), and all prerequisites
>> are met (e.g. server response' headers indicate request allowance).
>
> Yep, what about something ~ like this:
>
> In some (newer as of 2009) browsers, cross-domain XMLHttpRequests are
> allowed, but that's just half of the story as for a cross-domain XHR
> to complete successfully the target domain's server must have been
> configured to cooperate by expressly setting a predefined header in
> the response.
>
> ?

Informal language like colloquialisms and idioms should scarcely be used in
the FAQ, if that; a FAQ should mostly be written in a formal, no-nonsense,
matter-of-fact style so as not to confuse the individuals who would
otherwise ask the corresponding questions in the newsgroup (or so it is
hoped).

PointedEars
will want to steal it.)