From: Garrett Smith on
Dr J R Stockton wrote:
> In comp.lang.javascript message <be960cec-b620-47f9-ba84-f2c966730e30(a)z3
> g2000yqz.googlegroups.com>, Fri, 16 Apr 2010 10:54:06, VK
> <schools_ring(a)yahoo.com> posted:
>>> It seems to makes sense to use:
>>> Internationalisation and Localisation in javascript.
>
> No. The meaning of Internationalisation, in the absence of
> Multinationalisation, is uncertain. The word is often used by Americans
> where people on other countries would use "foreign", ignoring the fact
> that to the majority of the English-speaking world, including Canada,
> they themselves are foreign.

Internationalization may be, by some, misconstrued as meaning "foreign".

However, the term "internationalization", as it is used in software
development, should be understood by software developers, especially
when used in the phrase "internationalization and localization".

| Internationalization is the process of designing a software
| application so that it can be adapted to various languages and regions
| without engineering changes.

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internationalization_and_localization>

Where is the term "multinationalization" defined, so that a comparison
can be made?
--
Garrett
From: VK on
On Apr 18, 8:49 am, Garrett Smith <dhtmlkitc...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Where is the term "multinationalization" defined, so that a comparison
> can be made?

Encyclopedia Britannica
http://www.britannica.com/bps/search?query=multinationalization
"Sorry, we were unable to find an exact match for
multinationalization."

Merriam-Webster
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/multinationalization
"The word you've entered isn't in the dictionary."

Obviously the same for the Random House Webster's.

Yet both of the last ones know "multinational":

1: of or relating to more than two nationalities <a multinational
society>
2: a) of, relating to, or involving more than two nations <a
multinational alliance>
b) having divisions in more than two countries <a multinational
corporation>
(Merriam-Webster)

1: a corporation with operations and subsidiaries in several countries
(noun)
2: of, pertaining to, or involving several nations or multinationals
(adj.)
(Random House Webster's)

Google search shows that the business-related definition is prevailing
yet the term still out of anyhow wide use, it is from the "corporate
buzztalk" lingo:
http://www.google.com/#q=multinationalization

For the pleasure of Mr.Stockton let's us assume for a moment that in
the US they don't know how to speak English for several centuries on
the go...

Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary
http://dictionary.cambridge.org/spellcheck/british/?q=multinationalization
http://dictionary.cambridge.org/spellcheck/british/?q=multinationalisation
"Did you spell it correctly? Here are some alternatives:.." (neither
one close to)

Oxford Dictionaries series:
http://www.askoxford.com/results/?view=dict&freesearch=multinationalization
http://www.askoxford.com/results/?view=dict&freesearch=multinationalisation
"Sorry, there were no results for your search."

Australia, you're our last hope:

Macquarie Dictionary
http://www.macquariedictionary.com.au
(free registration needed, so no direct links):
"Sorry. We could not find 'multinationalization'."
"Sorry. We could not find 'multinationalisation'."

I think the question is closed. It might be a lot of discussions
around many technical topics and about the best way to express them:
yet I deeply hope that the consensus is here that English FAQ should
be written in proper English, not some fantastic lingo of an
individual group participant. It may be a discussion of using the
British spelling or the conventional one. Still as it was
"internationaliZation" for years w/o anyone jumping on the wall
because of it - let it be as it is.

This way the FAQ topic is to be renamed to "Internationalization and
localization in Javascript"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internationalization_and_localization

Respectively the current FAQ question has to be significantly changed
with all "multinationalization" stuff made of the top of one's head
removed. The topics to remain and to be clarified:
1. Locale-dependent string comparison and sorting
2. Locale-dependent date and time display
3. Possibly a good library reference with Java-like Calendar
functionality:
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/api/java/util/Calendar.html

P.S. Again, if we are using English for FAQ, let's us use it properly.
The proper nouns in English always start with a capital letter: so not
"javascript" but "Javascript" please.
http://www.learnenglish.de/grammar/nounproper.htm

From: VK on
On Apr 18, 3:57 pm, VK <schools_r...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> This way the FAQ topic is to be renamed to "Internationalization and
> localization in Javascript"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internationalization_and_localization
>
> Respectively the current FAQ question has to be significantly changed
> with all "multinationalization" stuff made of the top of one's head
> removed. The topics to remain and to be clarified:
> 1. Locale-dependent string comparison and sorting
> 2. Locale-dependent date and time display
> 3. Possibly a good library reference with Java-like Calendar
> functionality:http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/api/java/util/Calendar.html

More precisely:

aStringObject.localeCompare(anotherString)
bugs, pecularities (a.k.a. "bugs promoted to features by their
respective producer"), cross-UA support

aDateObject.toLocaleString()
bugs, pecularities (a.k.a. "bugs promoted to features by their
respective producer"), cross-UA support

Javascript wrapper library to fix the bugs and pecularities of the
above native methods and to add these methods where missing if
anywhere

Optional: Javascript Calendar (Java-like) library for full date/time
manipulations. Should be RMI over AJAX or JSONet: because Earth-wide
accomodation of all date/time formats, respective month/weekday names,
their grammatical forms in non-isolating languages - it would make a
huge file size if loaded at once.
From: Sean Kinsey on
On Apr 18, 4:08 pm, VK <schools_r...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> Optional: Javascript Calendar (Java-like) library for full date/time
> manipulations. Should be RMI over AJAX or JSONet:

RMI? JSONet? Kinda outdated aren't they? :)
If you want to go for a cross-domain RPC implementation then http://easyxdm..net/
solves that.

But in this particular situation, I'm guessing there are better
approaches (dynamic loading of localized files).
From: Bwig Zomberi on
Dr J R Stockton wrote:
> In comp.lang.javascript message<hqe31p$n8l$1(a)news.eternal-
> september.org>, Sat, 17 Apr 2010 21:49:58, Garrett Smith
> <dhtmlkitchen(a)gmail.com> posted:
>>
>> Where is the term "multinationalization" defined, so that a comparison
>> can be made?
>
> Multinational is widely defined, and -isation is a sufficiently well-
> known ending. That is how the English language works.

Multinational as a noun usually refers to a company that transcends
borders. As an adjective, it means that the constituents are from
different countries.

Internationalization is the correct word. MSDN has several guides on that.

--
Bwig Zomberi
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last