From: VK on
> >> I kept British spelling to be consistent with the rest of the document,
> >> though it probably doesn't matter much either way.
>
> > It is hugely matter for Dr. Stockton I guess :-) From the historical
> > fairness point of view the first FAQ and all descendants were written
> > using the US spelling rules. Also CSS and DOM terms use the US
> > spelling rules ("behavior" - not "behaviour", "centre" - not "center",
> > "color" - not "colour"). "To change the colour use elm.style.color"...
> > Whatever though.
>
> There was actually a w3c proposal to change that...
> here:
> <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2009Feb/0475.html>

The logical proposal would be "why not use the more common '色' instead
of 'color'" :-) There are more people natively speaking Chinese than
natively speaking English of any kind.

Truly I do consider anyone abscessed by national issues in internal
programming vocabularies to be a jerk. That fully applies to
referenced Max Harmony. Glad to see that he is at least happy with
'centre' instead of 'center'.

Also could anyone define "more common" besides "the only right one and
the topic is closed"? By the amount of such or such orthography users
and by the amount of printed materials the standard British dialect
and its orthography are sorrily behind, including "color", say in
Google:
color about 606,000,000
colour about 150,000,000

:-)
From: Garrett Smith on
VK wrote:
>>> It is hugely matter for Dr. Stockton I guess :-) From the historical
>>> fairness point of view the first FAQ and all descendants were written
>>> using the US spelling rules. Also CSS and DOM terms use the US
>>> spelling rules ("behavior" - not "behaviour", "centre" - not "center",
>>> "color" - not "colour"). "To change the colour use elm.style.color"...
>>> Whatever though.
>> There was actually a w3c proposal to change that...
>> here:
>> <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2009Feb/0475.html>
>
> The logical proposal would be "why not use the more common '色' instead
> of 'color'" :-) There are more people natively speaking Chinese than
> natively speaking English of any kind.

That may be true, but how many of them write CSS? ISTM the Chinese may
be too busy manufacturing things for consumption by westerners to be
bothered with CSS conventions. Thinks like, iPhones, for example.
--
Garrett
From: Garrett Smith on
Dr J R Stockton wrote:
> In comp.lang.javascript message <hqe31p$n8l$1(a)news.eternal-
> september.org>, Sat, 17 Apr 2010 21:49:58, Garrett Smith
> <dhtmlkitchen(a)gmail.com> posted:
>> Where is the term "multinationalization" defined, so that a comparison
>> can be made?
>
> Multinational is widely defined, and -isation is a sufficiently well-
> known ending. That is how the English language works.

Multinationalisation is not as widely accepted as localisation.
Localisation is the term to use to descript adapting software for a
specific region or language (by adding locale-specific components and
translating text).

Regarding the entry, it makes sense to add mention of
`Date.prototype.toISOString()`.

Last paragraph:
--
Garrett