From: Dr J R Stockton on
In comp.lang.javascript message <htdar8$46t$1(a)news.eternal-
september.org>, Mon, 24 May 2010 00:45:43, Garrett Smith
<dhtmlkitchen(a)gmail.com> posted:

>On 5/23/2010 4:00 PM, FAQ server wrote:
>> FAQ Topic - What is a function statement?

That is not a Frequently Asked Question; nothing like it.

>New FAQ Topic idea:
>
>| What is a FunctionDeclaration?

Likewise.

If you want to write pedantic tutorial material, or a Glossary and/or
Interpretation for ECMA 262, then you should do it on a Web site of your
own, or bury it among the Notes.

--
(c) John Stockton, nr London UK. ?@merlyn.demon.co.uk Turnpike v6.05 MIME.
Proper <= 4-line sig. separator as above, a line exactly "-- " (RFCs 5536/7)
From: John G Harris on
On Tue, 25 May 2010 at 09:08:37, in comp.lang.javascript, Ry Nohryb
wrote:
>On May 25, 4:49�pm, John G Harris <j...(a)nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>> On Mon, 24 May 2010 at 13:33:59, in comp.lang.javascript, Garrett Smith
>>
>> >How about:
>>
>> Also completely accurate and true, and better.
>
>If you mean a statement, as in : A.4 Statements:

Gawd, you can't even copy-and-paste accurately! It's Statement,
singular.

>Block
>VariableStatement EmptyStatement ExpressionStatement IfStatement
>IterationStatement ContinueStatement BreakStatement ReturnStatement
>WithStatement LabelledStatement SwitchStatement ThrowStatement
>TryStatement,
>
>I'm not sure. What would be an example ? A piece of code with a spot
>in which you could put any statement but not a function declaration ?

Surely you've seen this :

do Statement while ( Expression );

Inside a 'do' statement you must put another Statement (exactly one).
You mustn't put a FunctionDeclaration there.

John
--
John Harris
From: John G Harris on
On Tue, 25 May 2010 at 10:54:31, in comp.lang.javascript, Garrett Smith
wrote:
>On 5/25/2010 9:35 AM, Johannes Baagoe wrote:
>> Garrett Smith :
>>
>>> How about:
>>
>> English is not my mother tongue, but I choke on "everywhere that", plain
>> "everywhere" would seem to be enough.
>>
>> I also fear a logical ambiguity. Does it mean "There is at least one place
>> in which a Statement can appear and a FunctionDeclaration cannot", or
>> "Everywhere a Statement can appear, a FunctionDeclaration cannot"?
>>

>| in ECMAScript a FunctionDeclaration is not a Statement; there are
>| places where a Statement may appear and a FunctionDeclaration may not.
<snip>

Unfortunately, 'may' is a dangerous word to use in a specification or
similar.

You may not walk on the grass
meaning it is forbidden.

It may not rain today
meaning it is a possibility.

I first saw this in a hardware interface spec which said
At this time, parity may not be correct.
Guess which meaning was intended :-)

Let's have another go at it :

"in ECMAScript a FunctionDeclaration is not a Statement; there are
places in a program where a Statement is permitted but a

From: Ry Nohryb on
On May 26, 5:24 pm, John G Harris <j...(a)nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> Gawd, you can't even copy-and-paste accurately! It's Statement,
> singular.

Either that or that you can't read, Johnny: ES3 specs, page 162: "A.4
Statements"

> (...)
>
> Surely you've seen this :
>
>   do Statement while ( Expression );
>
> Inside a 'do' statement you must put another Statement (exactly one).
> You mustn't put a FunctionDeclaration there.

You can do it and it's not an error, see:
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.javascript/msg/a8bf14d724e82d77
sooo, could you please post a example that proves your (and Garrett's)
point, *please* ?

TIA,
--
Jorge.
From: Ry Nohryb on
On May 26, 5:36 pm, John G Harris <j...(a)nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> Let's have another go at it :
>
> "in ECMAScript a FunctionDeclaration is not a Statement; there are
> places in a program where a Statement is permitted but a
> FunctionDeclaration is not."

Keep trying.
--
Jorge.