From: FAQ server on
FAQ Topic - Why does my code fail to access an element?

An element can only be accessed after it exists in the document.

Either:
A) include your script after the HTML element it refers to, or
B) use the ` "load" ` event to trigger your script.

Example A:

<script type="text/javascript">
// Don't forget var.
var snurgleEl = document.getElementById("snurgle");
window.alert(snurgleEl.parentNode);
</script>

Example B:

// In the HEAD.
<script type="text/javascript">
window.onload = function(){
var snurgleEl = document.getElementById("snurgle");
};
</script>

*
* invalid HTML
* two elements with the same ` name ` or ` id `
* use of an unsafe name: http://jibbering.comnames/.

The complete comp.lang.javascript FAQ is at
http://jibbering.com/faq/

--

The sendings of these daily posts are proficiently hosted
by http://www.pair.com.

From: Garrett Smith on
FAQ server wrote:
> FAQ Topic - Why does my code fail to access an element?

[...]

> *
> * invalid HTML
> * two elements with the same ` name ` or ` id `
> * use of an unsafe name: http://jibbering.comnames/.

Looks like translation to plain text omitted the preceding heading:
"Other problems can include:".
--
Garrett
From: toby.oconnell on