From: K.A. on
Hello,

I'm attempting to setup my FC11 system to operate the USB scanner HP G4050

From some reading I understand that kernel USB modules had been
replaced by using the libusb library (my kernel is: 2.6.29.4-167.hpfs.fc11.x86_64).
I attempted to "google" about USB scanners setup but most of the
procedures deal with kernel USB modules, which, as I understand, are irrelevant
when "libusb" exists and the "libusb" info I gathered doesn't look
like a complete "howto" procedure. The output of "sane-find-scanner" is:

<root(a)localhost.localdomain>.../root>sane-find-scanner

# sane-find-scanner will now attempt to detect your scanner. If the
# result is different from what you expected, first make sure your
# scanner is powered up and properly connected to your computer.

# No SCSI scanners found. If you expected something different, make sure that
# you have loaded a kernel SCSI driver for your SCSI adapter.

found USB scanner (vendor=0x03f0 [Hewlett-Packard], product=0x4605 [HP Scanjet scanner], chip=GL843) at libusb:001:002
# Your USB scanner was (probably) detected. It may or may not be supported by

# Not checking for parallel port scanners.

# Most Scanners connected to the parallel port or other proprietary ports
# can't be detected by this program.

so at the hardware level the scanner seems to be recognized. However, "scanimage" can't find anything:

<root(a)localhost.localdomain>.../root>scanimage -l
scanimage: no SANE devices found

Can anyone point me to some more or less complete "howto" using only the "libusb" and not kernel modules?

Thanks in advance,
Arie.
From: The Natural Philosopher on
K.A. wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm attempting to setup my FC11 system to operate the USB scanner HP G4050
>
> From some reading I understand that kernel USB modules had been
> replaced by using the libusb library (my kernel is: 2.6.29.4-167.hpfs.fc11.x86_64).
> I attempted to "google" about USB scanners setup but most of the
> procedures deal with kernel USB modules, which, as I understand, are irrelevant
> when "libusb" exists and the "libusb" info I gathered doesn't look
> like a complete "howto" procedure. The output of "sane-find-scanner" is:
>
> <root(a)localhost.localdomain>.../root>sane-find-scanner
>
> # sane-find-scanner will now attempt to detect your scanner. If the
> # result is different from what you expected, first make sure your
> # scanner is powered up and properly connected to your computer.
>
> # No SCSI scanners found. If you expected something different, make sure that
> # you have loaded a kernel SCSI driver for your SCSI adapter.
>
> found USB scanner (vendor=0x03f0 [Hewlett-Packard], product=0x4605 [HP Scanjet scanner], chip=GL843) at libusb:001:002
> # Your USB scanner was (probably) detected. It may or may not be supported by
> # SANE. Try scanimage -L and read the backend's manpage.
>
> # Not checking for parallel port scanners.
>
> # Most Scanners connected to the parallel port or other proprietary ports
> # can't be detected by this program.
>

> so at the hardware level the scanner seems to be recognized. However, "scanimage" can't find anything:
>
> <root(a)localhost.localdomain>.../root>scanimage -l
> scanimage: no SANE devices found
>
> Can anyone point me to some more or less complete "howto" using only the "libusb" and not kernel modules?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Arie.

Welcome to the wacky wonderful world of scanners and Xsane.

sane-find-scanner will detect any scanner, but that doesn't means xsane
can use it.

Xsane/sane has its own set of drivers that understand the details of how
that scanner works. If it aint supported your are simply out of luck.

And looking at the sane pages, its not supported.

Give up NOW. Don't do what I did and try and make it work..you will like
as not, break the scanner. I nearly did. Drove the scanning bar past the
end of where it should go..

I ended up buying a secondhand scanner on Ebay, that had SANE support
and giving my brand new HP scanner to my wife, who has a Mac..:-)
From: David W. Hodgins on
On Thu, 17 Sep 2009 22:10:14 -0400, K.A. <arie.kazachin(a)013net.net> wrote:

> so at the hardware level the scanner seems to be recognized. However, "scanimage" can't find anything:

With my canon mp150 usb scanner/printer, scanimage -l does not show it
either, yet xsane does detect it, and allow it to be selected, along
with my usb webcam.

Try xsane, to see if it is detected.

Regards, Dave Hodgins