From: RobertB on
The FC5025 5.25" USB floppy controller is now available.
Device Side Data's FC5025 USB 5.25" floppy controller
plugs into a USB port and enables you to attach a 5.25"
floppy drive. With the FC5025 and its included software,
you can read Apple, Atari, Commodore, MS-DOS,
North Star, and TI disks.

For more information and to order, see the website:

http://www.deviceside.com

Before ordering, please note the limitations described
on the website. In particular, the FC5025 is read-only;
it can read floppies, but it can't write to them.

Truly,
Robert Bernardo
Fresno Commodore User Group
http://videocam.net.au/fcug
The Other Group of Amigoids
http://www.calweb.com/~rabel1/
Southern California Commodore & Amiga Network
http://www.sccaners.org
From: redrumloa on
On Mar 4, 4:17 am, RobertB <rberna...(a)iglou.com> wrote:
> The FC5025 5.25" USB floppy controller is now available.
> Device Side Data's FC5025 USB 5.25" floppy controller
> plugs into a USB port and enables you to attach a 5.25"
> floppy drive. With the FC5025 and its included software,
> you can read Apple, Atari, Commodore, MS-DOS,
> North Star, and TI disks.
>
> For more information and to order, see the website:
>
>            http://www.deviceside.com
>
> Before ordering, please note the limitations described
> on the website. In particular, the FC5025 is read-only;
> it can read floppies, but it can't write to them.
>
>            Truly,
>            Robert Bernardo
>            Fresno Commodore User Group
>            http://videocam.net.au/fcug
>            The Other Group of Amigoids
>            http://www.calweb.com/~rabel1/
>            Southern California Commodore & Amiga Network
>            http://www.sccaners.org

Interesting but no wrote capability kills it.
From: Clocky on
redrumloa wrote:
> On Mar 4, 4:17 am, RobertB <rberna...(a)iglou.com> wrote:
>> The FC5025 5.25" USB floppy controller is now available.
>> Device Side Data's FC5025 USB 5.25" floppy controller
>> plugs into a USB port and enables you to attach a 5.25"
>> floppy drive. With the FC5025 and its included software,
>> you can read Apple, Atari, Commodore, MS-DOS,
>> North Star, and TI disks.
>>
>> For more information and to order, see the website:
>>
>> http://www.deviceside.com
>>
>> Before ordering, please note the limitations described
>> on the website. In particular, the FC5025 is read-only;
>> it can read floppies, but it can't write to them.
>>
>> Truly,
>> Robert Bernardo
>> Fresno Commodore User Group
>> http://videocam.net.au/fcug
>> The Other Group of Amigoids
>> http://www.calweb.com/~rabel1/
>> Southern California Commodore & Amiga Network
>> http://www.sccaners.org
>
> Interesting but no wrote capability kills it.

Yeah, it does seem rather pointless to produce a product like that with such
severe limitations.

From: Bill Garber on

"Clocky" <notgonn(a)happen.com> wrote in message
> redrumloa wrote:
>> On Mar 4, 4:17 am, RobertB <rberna...(a)iglou.com> wrote:
>>> The FC5025 5.25" USB floppy controller is now available.
>>> Device Side Data's FC5025 USB 5.25" floppy controller
>>> plugs into a USB port and enables you to attach a 5.25"
>>> floppy drive. With the FC5025 and its included software,
>>> you can read Apple, Atari, Commodore, MS-DOS,
>>> North Star, and TI disks.
>>>
>>> For more information and to order, see the website:
>>>
>>> http://www.deviceside.com
>>>
>>> Before ordering, please note the limitations described
>>> on the website. In particular, the FC5025 is read-only;
>>> it can read floppies, but it can't write to them.
>>>
>>> Truly,
>>> Robert Bernardo
>>> Fresno Commodore User Group
>>> http://videocam.net.au/fcug
>>> The Other Group of Amigoids
>>> http://www.calweb.com/~rabel1/
>>> Southern California Commodore & Amiga Network
>>> http://www.sccaners.org
>>
>> Interesting but no wrote capability kills it.
>
> Yeah, it does seem rather pointless to produce a product like that with such severe limitations.

I disagree. If you discovered that you have a big
lot of disks from your 8-bit era, but have long since
dismissed the hardware, this may be the perfect way
for someone to image those disks without having to
go and purchase all of that hardware again.

One drawback I can see is that the host program doesn't
seem to allow for advanced disk formatting, as on the
Atari, disks are not necessarily the standard SD format.
They can be 1.5D or DD disks.

It would be nice if it would write as well, but who knows,
maybe it can and the author simply hasn't discovered it.

Bill

From: Clocky on
Bill Garber wrote:
> "Clocky" <notgonn(a)happen.com> wrote in message
>> redrumloa wrote:

>>> Interesting but no wrote capability kills it.
>>
>> Yeah, it does seem rather pointless to produce a product like that
>> with such severe limitations.
>
> I disagree. If you discovered that you have a big
> lot of disks from your 8-bit era, but have long since
> dismissed the hardware, this may be the perfect way
> for someone to image those disks without having to
> go and purchase all of that hardware again.

I just think it's pointless because better options for disk transfer, both
reading and writing, already exist.

> One drawback I can see is that the host program doesn't
> seem to allow for advanced disk formatting, as on the
> Atari, disks are not necessarily the standard SD format.
> They can be 1.5D or DD disks.

It doesn't do copy protected disks either which is a shame if your disks are
originals.

> It would be nice if it would write as well, but who knows,
> maybe it can and the author simply hasn't discovered it.

Possibly, or it might never happen... I wouldn't buy it in the hope that
writing would one day be possible..