From: Richard Owlett on
In "Chapter 12 - The Fast Fourier Transform / FFT Programs" of _The
Scientist and Engineer's Guide to Digital Signal Processing_
Smith says "There are also FFT routines that completely eliminate the
bit reversal sorting."

Could someone point me to a description of one, preferably with BASIC or
FORTRAN sample code.

TIA
From: Martin Blume on
"Richard Owlett" schrieb
> In "Chapter 12 - The Fast Fourier Transform / FFT Programs" of
> _The Scientist and Engineer's Guide to Digital Signal Processing_
> Smith says "There are also FFT routines that completely eliminate
> the bit reversal sorting."
>
> Could someone point me to a description of one, preferably
> with BASIC or FORTRAN sample code.

Maybe www.nr.com helps. Viewing the book on-line needs a plugin,
which I'm too lazy to install right now, so I don't know if the
answer is in there.

HTH.
Martin

From: Richard Owlett on
Martin Blume wrote:
> "Richard Owlett" schrieb
>
>>In "Chapter 12 - The Fast Fourier Transform / FFT Programs" of
>>_The Scientist and Engineer's Guide to Digital Signal Processing_
>>Smith says "There are also FFT routines that completely eliminate
>>the bit reversal sorting."
>>
>>Could someone point me to a description of one, preferably
>>with BASIC or FORTRAN sample code.
>>

> Maybe www.nr.com helps. Viewing the book on-line needs a plugin,
> which I'm too lazy to install right now, so I don't know if the
> answer is in there.
>
> HTH.
> Martin

Installation repeatedly fails with a "file corrupt" message. I suspect
that Windows version is dependent on using IE. I'll see if local library
can get me a hard copy on inter-library loan.

Thanks.

From: Martin Blume on
"Richard Owlett" schrieb

> > Maybe www.nr.com helps. Viewing the book on-line
> > needs a plugin, ...
> Installation repeatedly fails with a "file corrupt" message.
> I suspect that Windows version is dependent on using IE.
> I'll see if local library can get me a hard copy on
> inter-library loan.

You might want to look at the source code first to check whether
they have an algorithm that works without bit reversal sorting.

Regards
Martin

PS: My ancient dead-tree version (from 1987) mentions other
algorithms (other than bit-reversal) briefly (2 pages), but
says that these are used for convolution using the FFT and
that not doing the bit-reversal step doesn't save much time.

From: Martin Blume on
"Martin Blume" schrieb
> > In "Chapter 12 - The Fast Fourier Transform / FFT Programs" of
> > _The Scientist and Engineer's Guide to Digital Signal
Processing_
> > Smith says "There are also FFT routines that completely
eliminate
> > the bit reversal sorting."
> >
> > Could someone point me to a description of one, preferably
> > with BASIC or FORTRAN sample code.

Another possible site is:
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/FastFourierTransform.html
(didn't see any mention at first glance of non-bit-reversal stuff,
but you might follow the links [*])

Regards
Martin

[*] beware of the danger mentioned in http://xkcd.com/214/