From: Greg Berchin on
I'm dealing with a signal generated by a rotating machine. I am
trying to separate components generated by an anomaly that occurs
exactly once per revolution from those generated by an anomaly the
occurs exactly twice per revolution. Of course, harmonics of the
twice-per-revolution anomaly overlay harmonics of the once-per-
revolution anomaly. Seeking suggestions on what analyses to perform
to separate the two. My initial guess is that phase will somehow be
the discriminating factor.

Thanks,
Greg
From: John E. Hadstate on

"Greg Berchin" <gberchin(a)sentientscience.com> wrote in
message
> I'm dealing with a signal generated by a rotating machine.
> I am
> trying to separate components generated by an anomaly that
> occurs
> exactly once per revolution from those generated by an
> anomaly the
> occurs exactly twice per revolution. Of course, harmonics
> of the
> twice-per-revolution anomaly overlay harmonics of the
> once-per-
> revolution anomaly. Seeking suggestions on what analyses
> to perform
> to separate the two. My initial guess is that phase will
> somehow be
> the discriminating factor.
>
> Thanks,
> Greg

The event that happens twice per revolution shows up once by
itself and once combined with the event that happens once
per revolution. Any chance of phase-locking to the "by
itself" event, subtracting it out of the
"once-per-revolution event" and then processing the events
as separate streams?

From: Ron N. on
On Nov 30, 8:50 am, Greg Berchin <gberc...(a)sentientscience.com> wrote:
> I'm dealing with a signal generated by a rotating machine. I am
> trying to separate components generated by an anomaly that occurs
> exactly once per revolution from those generated by an anomaly the
> occurs exactly twice per revolution. Of course, harmonics of the
> twice-per-revolution anomaly overlay harmonics of the once-per-
> revolution anomaly. Seeking suggestions on what analyses to perform
> to separate the two. My initial guess is that phase will somehow be
> the discriminating factor.

If the impulse response of the once per cycle event
spans less than an entire revolution, then you could
periodically window outside that span in the time/angular
domain and see what spectra is left from the other
half of the revolution. To find each event, you could
try a pair of angular windows 180 degrees apart, and
rotate them together until until you find some sort
of maxima in the difference between the two spectra.

IMHO. YMMV.
--
rhn A.T nicholson d.0.t C-o-M

From: John O'Flaherty on
On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 08:50:15 -0800 (PST), Greg Berchin
<gberchin(a)sentientscience.com> wrote:

>I'm dealing with a signal generated by a rotating machine. I am
>trying to separate components generated by an anomaly that occurs
>exactly once per revolution from those generated by an anomaly the
>occurs exactly twice per revolution. Of course, harmonics of the
>twice-per-revolution anomaly overlay harmonics of the once-per-
>revolution anomaly. Seeking suggestions on what analyses to perform
>to separate the two. My initial guess is that phase will somehow be
>the discriminating factor.

Odd harmonics of the 1/per won't be duplicated in the 2/per.
--
John
From: John O'Flaherty on
On Sat, 01 Dec 2007 17:00:38 -0600, John O'Flaherty
<quiasmox(a)yeeha.com> wrote:

>On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 08:50:15 -0800 (PST), Greg Berchin
><gberchin(a)sentientscience.com> wrote:
>
>>I'm dealing with a signal generated by a rotating machine. I am
>>trying to separate components generated by an anomaly that occurs
>>exactly once per revolution from those generated by an anomaly the
>>occurs exactly twice per revolution. Of course, harmonics of the
>>twice-per-revolution anomaly overlay harmonics of the once-per-
>>revolution anomaly. Seeking suggestions on what analyses to perform
>>to separate the two. My initial guess is that phase will somehow be
>>the discriminating factor.
>
>Odd harmonics of the 1/per won't be duplicated in the 2/per.

Whoops, said it backwards.
--
John