From: Geoff Schaller on
What doesn't "fit" is your advice regarding 256KB or 1MB as some kind of
size constraint.

Sharepoint, just to pick one example, will quite happily deal with
documents and files of any size and it does not use filestreaming or any
kind of trickery to save binary data into columns. This is a Microsoft
product and I have not seen any advice from MS that there is such a
genuine practical limitation.

We save documents into columns also - I place no restriction on size -
and although if I look at a database, the vast majority are well below
200KB, some do go up to 10MB. Particularly power points. We have not
noticed any particularly problems.

So I don't agree. I am just not happy with the physical concept of
filestreaming nor the way it is architected so I have gone back to
basics. It is simpler to install and manage and move around.

Cheers,

Geoff Schaller
Software Objectives

From: Erland Sommarskog on
Geoff Schaller (geoffx(a)softxwareobjectives.com.au) writes:
> Sharepoint, just to pick one example, will quite happily deal with
> documents and files of any size and it does not use filestreaming or any
> kind of trickery to save binary data into columns. This is a Microsoft
> product and I have not seen any advice from MS that there is such a
> genuine practical limitation.

You are confusing things. You can store 2GB in a BLOB column in SQL
Server. That is perfectly possible. But that is not the same as this
is the most optimal solution. In fact, it had been, Microsoft would
not have added FILESTREAM to SQL Server. FILESTREAM achieves two things:
it removes the limit of 2GB and it makes access to larger BLOBs faster.
Microsoft says you can expect better performance when the size of
the BLOB data generally exceeds 1MB of data.

Links for SQL Server Books Online:

From: Plamen Ratchev on
I deal with few databases that heavily utilize BLOB storage both in DB
and file system and from my experience the points made in the white
paper I posted are very valid. Sharepoint is by far not near an
"ideal" example for content storage.

--
Plamen Ratchev
http://www.SQLStudio.com
From: Geoff Schaller on
Ok, so I wonder then if we should investigate more the actual scenario
required?

One problem we hit immediately was then need for a single solution for a
column. Filestream involved additional over head, came with restrictions
on column usage and a more complicated install and management
environment. It was just easier to go back to a non-filestream solution.

Also the vast majority of docs and images were below 500KB. But quite a
lot are not.

The other thing is that white paper was written a long time ago (in
computer terms) and a lot has happened to storage engine in this sphere.
It was definitely pre SQL Server 2008.

All I can tell you is that in a live commercial instance we employ, we
don't have the problems alluded to.

Geoff Schaller
Software Objectives

From: Capri on
I have decided that i will not use filestreaming,

I will save image in a folder and will save path in a table field.

Thanks for all

"Plamen Ratchev" <Plamen(a)SQLStudio.com> wrote in message
>I deal with few databases that heavily utilize BLOB storage both in DB
> and file system and from my experience the points made in the white
> paper I posted are very valid. Sharepoint is by far not near an
> "ideal" example for content storage.
>
> --
> Plamen Ratchev
> http://www.SQLStudio.com