From: Dennis Yurichev on
Hi.

Are there such thing as FPGA farm (for cryptographical purposes),
containing a lot of expensive FPGAs, and accessed remotely for some
payment?
From: StoneThrower on
> Are there such thing as FPGA farm (for cryptographical purposes),
Sure it is there. That farm is called NSA and employs farmers called MiBs
(men in black). The farm is even remotely accessable via satelite called
Echelon. That Echelon contains AI chip called Clipper. The legend goes that
MiBs are using Clipper to feed the FPGA to read all our emails.

--
StoneThrower
www.dgmicrosys.com

From: Thomas Womack on
In article <b48f5c25-73e0-4b57-8e71-d562a6b427cf(a)r19g2000yqb.googlegroups.com>,
Dennis Yurichev <dennis.yurichev(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>Hi.
>
>Are there such thing as FPGA farm (for cryptographical purposes),
>containing a lot of expensive FPGAs, and accessed remotely for some
>payment?

There's www.copacobana.org which is 120 x Virtex4 SX35 in a 2U box;
you can rent time on them by contacting cpaar(a)crypto.rub.de though I'm
not sure how big the farm actually is.

There's http://www.enterpoint.co.uk/merrick/supercomputers.html
which seems to be trying to set up a business model based on renting
time on their Merrick-1 boards, each of which contains a 10x10 array
of XC3SD3400A.

But I get the impression that this tends to be an area that small
businesses see as a gap in the market, and then turn as they try to
exploit the gap into single-purpose consultancies providing FPGA
boards to the oil-services or government markets rather than trying to
sell LUT*Hz as a commodity. About the only shrink-wrap FPGA-array
application is breaking DES, and that's not terribly easy to monetize
because you tend to have a degree of official suspicion of your
customers.

I get the impression that big grids of FPGAs are normally sold at
enormous mark-up and in association with enormously expensive
properitary software as ASIC emulators

Tom