From: Mika Leinonen on
I have some adapters built on factory made PCB:s, and will sell
them for 15 euros + shipping cost. Price includes one DIN-6 connector
on PCB and parallel connection header. Adapter is built to XA, XM, or XE
by buyers choice. About 5 feet/1.8 m DIN-6 cable for +1 euro + shipping.
I'll put pictures here: http://www.iki.fi/mkl/x/ (version 1.1 on the page)
Shipping from Finland. Shipping costs begin from 1 euro in Europe.
Reply to the Reply-To e-mail address.
From: Mika Leinonen on

I put some XA1541 adapters to eBay.de, starting from 9.99 euros.
I made the listings in hurry, so they tell that I'll ship to Germany,
but I will send worldwide.

From: Wolfgang Moser on
Hello Mika,

Mika Leinonen schrieb:
> I put some XA1541 adapters to eBay.de, starting from 9.99 euros.
> I made the listings in hurry, so they tell that I'll ship to Germany,
> but I will send worldwide.

this is interesting. I'm not going to buy one since
I made my own PCB based mini-series of 20 super small
XAP adaptors (no XM or XE options) early this year.

Your auctions will tell me, if there is a market for
premium made adaptors like yours (with PCB, parallel
cable connector, configuration options).

Oh, btw., how are your experiences with the 2N7002
vertical D-MOS transistors or how are the experiences
of your recent customers with that transistor type?
Did you get some reports on which mainboard types
your adaptor (XA configuration, 2N7002 transistor)
was used? From my own experiences and measurements I
expect the 2N7002 (as well as BS170 and 2N7000) as a
fully compatible replacement for the BSV52, but Joe
Forster (The Star Commander) and I never got much
report from "in-the-field" users.

Womo

From: Mika Leinonen on
On 2007-08-04, Wolfgang Moser <wn0612(a)d81.de.invalid> wrote:
> Oh, btw., how are your experiences with the 2N7002
> vertical D-MOS transistors or how are the experiences

I have sold one of these adapters with 2N7002, and it worked.
I sold it as an replacement for an adapter with BAT54 diodes,
because the latter didn't work in his PC. Could it be that
BAT54 is not a compatible SMD equivalent with BAT85?
(Must check the datasheets again.)
From: Wolfgang Moser on
Hi Mika,

Mika Leinonen schrieb:
> On 2007-08-04, Wolfgang Moser <wn0612(a)d81.de.invalid> wrote:
>> Oh, btw., how are your experiences with the 2N7002
>> vertical D-MOS transistors or how are the experiences
>
> I have sold one of these adapters with 2N7002, and it worked.
> I sold it as an replacement for an adapter with BAT54 diodes,
> because the latter didn't work in his PC.

In 1999/2000 there was a similar situation with a very
small number of The Star Commander beta testers and the
XE1541 cable and ended up in the transistor design..

> Could it be that
> BAT54 is not a compatible SMD equivalent with BAT85?
> (Must check the datasheets again.)

Hmmmmm, the Philips datasheet of that type mentions a
forward voltage of 320mV, when there is a current of
1mA. At a current of 10mA the drop voltages goes up to
400mV.
With one floppy disk drive, there's a pullup resistor
of 1K Ohm per IEC bus line, at 5V this results in a
current of 5mA for the driver that takes a line to
low level.
In this situation the drop voltage could be at 350mV.

Now, much depends on the low level the LPT port driver
does generate. If it is true TTL logic, it could be
found at around 0.8V. From the Schottky diode 0.35V
are added which results in 1.15V. This voltage must be
"low enough" to successfully drive the 74LS14 Schmitt
Trigger within the floppy to a low level.
Now, I known of some 1541-Ii disk drives that do not
contain a Schmitt Trigger, but a standard 74LS04
inverter.

All I want to say is: It is very, very difficult to
estimate compatibility and resulting software
behavior from watching a single component only. For
the Schottky diodes you should always look for types
with the lowest possible drop voltage at higher
currents. A drop voltage of only 0.2V at a current of
maybe 30mA would be even better than the 1N5819 or
BAT85 types.

To give your a more concrete answer: From looking to
the datasheets and without doing some measurements,
I'm not able to tell you, "how much compatible" the
BAT54 is in comparison to the BAT85.

Womo