From: Niklas Holsti on
Is there an FSF-derived version of GNAT that runs on the "Snow Leopard"
version of Mac OS X?

My searches and tests have so far only found GNAT versions that do not
work on Snow Leopard, including GNAT GPL 2009, which crashes with
segmentation fault.

On the other hand, the binaries of my Ada application that were compiled
under the previous version of Mac OS X, "Leopard", seem to work on Snow
Leopard, too. So I'm considering buing a (used?) Mac running Leopard,
just to have a working compilation system. I would be grateful for any
advice or suggestions from Mac/Ada users.

--
Niklas Holsti
Tidorum Ltd
From: Simon Wright on
Niklas Holsti <niklas.holsti(a)tidorum.invalid> writes (not in this order):

> My searches and tests have so far only found GNAT versions that do not
> work on Snow Leopard, including GNAT GPL 2009, which crashes with
> segmentation fault.

If you go to http://sourceforge.net/projects/gnuada/files/ and navigate
to GNAT_GPL Mac OS X > 2009-snow-leopard you'll find 64- and 32-bit
compilers. Note, both want to install at /:

sudo tar jxvf gnat-gpl-2009-x86_64-apple-darwin10.2.0.tar.bz2 -C /

> Is there an FSF-derived version of GNAT that runs on the "Snow
> Leopard" version of Mac OS X?

At the moment I'm running gcc version 4.5.0 20100221 (experimental)
[trunk revision 156937] built for x86_64-apple-darwin10.2.0 & also have
i686-apple-darwin10.2.0. But I've not uploaded either of these anywhere
as yet ..

At the same place, under GNAT_GCC Mac OS X > 4.4.2, you'll find a
collection of .dmg's posted by Martin Krischik. I've not used these.

HTH
From: Jerry on
On Mar 15, 3:09 pm, Simon Wright <si...(a)pushface.org> wrote:
> If you go to http://sourceforge.net/projects/gnuada/files/and navigate
> to GNAT_GPL Mac OS X > 2009-snow-leopard you'll find 64- and 32-bit
> compilers.

Sorry if these questions have been asked before.

(1) Do either of these compilers work with Xcode?
(a) If so, which one(s) and what version of Xcode?
(2) Do either of these compilers work with the debugger gdb?
(a) If so, is it included with the download?
(3) Do either of these compilers work with the gdb GUI in Xcode?
(4) Is the 32-bit version more functional with respect to exceptions?
(5) After installing in their default locations, can they be moved?

> At the same place, under GNAT_GCC Mac OS X > 4.4.2, you'll find a
> collection of .dmg's posted by Martin Krischik. I've not used these.
>
> HTH
Yes, that helps, but the picture is still confused. Are things labeled
x86 64-bit and i386 32-bit? What are the .dmgs under GNAT_GCC Mac OS
X.>gnat-gcc-4.4.2.dmg? How are they different from those under
GNAT_GPL Mac OS X>2009-snow-leopard? Is there anything at macada.org
that is useful for Snow Leopard?

Sorry for all the questions but I've been confused about the Snow
Leopar/Xcode/debugger question for a while. I'm willing to install
something on an old disk to try things out but I've read of at least
one person who installed Snow Leopard and is sorry because he now has
no Ada compiler--maybe that is old information however.

Thanks,
Jerry
From: Niklas Holsti on
Simon Wright wrote:
> Niklas Holsti <niklas.holsti(a)tidorum.invalid> writes (not in this order):
>
>> My searches and tests have so far only found GNAT versions that do not
>> work on Snow Leopard, including GNAT GPL 2009, which crashes with
>> segmentation fault.
>
> If you go to http://sourceforge.net/projects/gnuada/files/ and navigate
> to GNAT_GPL Mac OS X > 2009-snow-leopard you'll find 64- and 32-bit
> compilers. Note, both want to install at /:

Thanks, I will try that one, when next I get my hands on the Mac (that I
borrow for this purpose). I tried the GNAT GPL from AdaCore Libre, which
segfaulted. But I would really need an FSF-licenced compiler, because
some of my source code is under NDA from other parties and can't be opened.

>> Is there an FSF-derived version of GNAT that runs on the "Snow
>> Leopard" version of Mac OS X?
>
> At the moment I'm running gcc version 4.5.0 20100221 (experimental)
> [trunk revision 156937] built for x86_64-apple-darwin10.2.0 & also have
> i686-apple-darwin10.2.0. But I've not uploaded either of these anywhere
> as yet ..
>
> At the same place, under GNAT_GCC Mac OS X > 4.4.2, you'll find a
> collection of .dmg's posted by Martin Krischik. I've not used these.

I already tried that one (gnat-gcc-4.4.2.dmg), but it did not work;
trying to compile something with gnatmake gave an error message saying
an Ada compiler is not installed. From my googling it seems that others
have encountered the same error. My guess is that gnatmake is using the
wrong gcc. Perhaps this could be a simple problem to solve, or just an
installation problem (I accepted the default location /opt/local), but
how to do it is not evident to me.

--
Niklas Holsti
Tidorum Ltd
From: Martin on
On Mar 15, 10:09 pm, Simon Wright <si...(a)pushface.org> wrote:
> Niklas Holsti <niklas.hol...(a)tidorum.invalid> writes (not in this order):
>
> > My searches and tests have so far only found GNAT versions that do not
> > work on Snow Leopard, including GNAT GPL 2009, which crashes with
> > segmentation fault.
>
> If you go tohttp://sourceforge.net/projects/gnuada/files/and navigate
> to GNAT_GPL Mac OS X > 2009-snow-leopard you'll find 64- and 32-bit
> compilers. Note, both want to install at /:
>
>  sudo tar jxvf gnat-gpl-2009-x86_64-apple-darwin10.2.0.tar.bz2  -C /
>
> > Is there an FSF-derived version of GNAT that runs on the "Snow
> > Leopard" version of Mac OS X?
>
> At the moment I'm running gcc version 4.5.0 20100221 (experimental)
> [trunk revision 156937] built for x86_64-apple-darwin10.2.0 & also have
> i686-apple-darwin10.2.0. But I've not uploaded either of these anywhere
> as yet ..
>
> At the same place, under GNAT_GCC Mac OS X > 4.4.2, you'll find a
> collection of .dmg's posted by Martin Krischik. I've not used these.
>
> HTH

Thanks Simon - for the first time since Snow Leopard, I have a working
Ada compiler!! :-)

I'm using the "Lightweight IDE" - sorry Emacs was just as much a 'way-
of-life' tool as I remember...and I didn't enjoy the experience the
first time round.

Hopefully, AdaCore will be releasing a GNAT GPL 2010 for Snow Leopard
in a few months and I can get back to GPS.

Cheers
-- Martin
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3