From: -jg on
On Mar 6, 8:10 am, glen herrmannsfeldt <g...(a)ugcs.caltech.edu> wrote:
> Peter Alfke <al...(a)sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
> (snip)
>
> > Peter Alfke, formerly Xilinx Applications (some of you may remember me)
>
> and also notice that you don't post as often as before.
>
> I was not so long ago thinking of asking:
>
>    There is picoblaze (8 bit), and microblaze (32 bit), but no
>    nanoblaze (16 bit) or milliblaze (64 bit).  It might even
>    be interesting to have a femtoblaze (4 bit) processor.

There is a newish 4 bit core here, that could be
a template ? GC49C50x series
http://www.coreriver.co.kr/product-lines/top_corerivermcu.html

Atom summary:
# CPU
- 4-bit reduced 8051 architecture
- Continuous program addressing, not paged.
- 51 instructions including push, pop and logic inst.
- Instruction cycle : fSYS/6
- Multi-level subroutine nesting with RAM based stack.
# On-chip Memories :
- FLASH : 1024 Bytes (including EEPROM : 128 Bytes )
- RAM : 64 nibbles (including stack)

It could also be timely for someone to target the
new QuadSPI Flash to a FPGA core.
Code memory is always the achilles heel of Soft-CPU.

-jg

From: Antti on
On Mar 6, 10:55 pm, -jg <jim.granvi...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mar 6, 8:10 am, glen herrmannsfeldt <g...(a)ugcs.caltech.edu> wrote:
>
> > Peter Alfke <al...(a)sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
> > (snip)
>
> > > Peter Alfke, formerly Xilinx Applications (some of you may remember me)
>
> > and also notice that you don't post as often as before.
>
> > I was not so long ago thinking of asking:
>
> >    There is picoblaze (8 bit), and microblaze (32 bit), but no
> >    nanoblaze (16 bit) or milliblaze (64 bit).  It might even
> >    be interesting to have a femtoblaze (4 bit) processor.
>
> There is a newish 4 bit core here, that could be
> a template ?   GC49C50x serieshttp://www.coreriver.co.kr/product-lines/top_corerivermcu.html
>
> Atom summary:
> # CPU
> - 4-bit reduced 8051 architecture
> - Continuous program addressing, not paged.
> - 51 instructions including push, pop and logic inst.
> - Instruction cycle : fSYS/6
> - Multi-level subroutine nesting with RAM based stack.
> # On-chip Memories :
> - FLASH : 1024 Bytes (including EEPROM : 128 Bytes )
> - RAM : 64 nibbles (including stack)
>
> It could also be timely for someone to target the
> new QuadSPI Flash to a FPGA core.
> Code memory is always the achilles heel of Soft-CPU.
>
> -jg

Jim,

1) the 4-bit "Atom" isnt so new ;)
2) NanoBlaze is registered trademark of Xilinx

hm... one of my softcores has been pushed into useable status
its small core that is optimized to run from one single block ram
and to NOT use distributed ram, so it is very small in all vendors
FPGA's
it does have a compromise, 1 instruction takes 4 clock, but well then
it
has windowed register file and no overhead context switching, i do
consider
it much more interesting then ATOM, at least what goes soft cores for
FPGA

Antti

From: glen herrmannsfeldt on
Antti <antti.lukats(a)googlemail.com> wrote:
(snip)

> 1) the 4-bit "Atom" isnt so new ;)
> 2) NanoBlaze is registered trademark of Xilinx

A quick search of uspto.gov didn't find nanoblaze, but,
following the pattern, the 4 bit processor would be femtoblaze,
which also doesn't seem to be registered.

-- glen
From: -jg on
On Mar 7, 10:06 am, Antti <antti.luk...(a)googlemail.com> wrote:

> Jim,
>
> 1) the 4-bit "Atom" isnt so new ;)

It is, relative to an 80C51 ;)

> hm... one of my softcores has been pushed into useable status
> its small core that is optimized to run from one single block ram
> and to NOT use distributed ram, so it is very small in all vendors
> FPGA's
> it does have a compromise, 1 instruction takes 4 clock, but well then
> it has windowed register file and no overhead context switching, i do
> consider
> it much more interesting then ATOM, at least what goes soft cores for FPGA

Yes, a core that targets BlockRam is going to be a better fit.
Windowed register is too often overlooked.

Single cycle opcodes are over-rated, and I like the XMOS approach,
where they time-slice to give the illusion of 4 x 100MHz cores.

In a serial Flash CPU, to avoid thrashing the serial memory, and give
superfast interrupts, you would
allocate a small, fast interrupt/FSM type area, and then have one
thread allowed to access serial flash.
Serial flash also naturally has a clocks/opcode number.

One chip will feed 16b/4 clocks, 24b in 6 clocks, and
a Pair, would give 32b in 4 clocks, 40b in 5 clocks.

-jg