From: Ry Nohryb on
On Jul 27, 9:44 am, David Mark <dmark.cins...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jul 27, 3:38 am, Ry Nohryb <jo...(a)jorgechamorro.com> wrote:
>
> > On Jul 27, 8:04 am, Asen Bozhilov <asen.bozhi...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > Please follow the posted link. As I wrote the problem is in the
> > > programmer, not in GC. (...)
>
> > The problem is in IE, only in IE.
>
> The problem is in your head, Jorge.  Somehow you think you don't have
> to deal with the most-used browser.  You have to accept the things you
> cannot change.
>
> > And in Redmond, WA.
>
> Why don't you invade and attack their windmills?  :)

Headline news (not exactly):

"Microsoft, the biggest software company in the world, is unable to
fix IE's GC bug (*) in over 10 years"

(*)Nor NFEs' bug, nor innerHTML's bug, nor (unbelievably long list of
IE bugs).
--
Jorge.
From: Ry Nohryb on
On Jul 27, 6:02 am, Matt Kruse <m...(a)thekrusefamily.com> wrote:
> On Jul 26, 7:09 pm, Ry Nohryb <jo...(a)jorgechamorro.com> wrote:
>
> > No. More than one what ? more than one GC ?
>
> I believe that's the root of the problem, isn't it? The GC for jscript
> objects is separate from the one for host objects, and they don't talk
> to each other. So they cannot resolve the circular reference to
> realize that both objects may safely be destroyed. They just each see
> an external reference count of 1 and remain in memory forever.

Oh, yes, you're right. Now that you say it, I remember having read
this before. Thanks!

And that comes from the biggest software company in the world... :-(
--
Jorge.
From: Richard Cornford on
On Jul 27, 8:58 am, Ry Nohryb wrote:
> On Jul 27, 9:44 am, David Mark wrote:
<snip>
>> Why don't you invade and attack their windmills? :)
>
> Headline news (not exactly):
>
> "Microsoft, the biggest software company in the world, is
> unable to fix IE's GC bug (*) in over 10 years"
>
> (*)Nor NFEs' bug, nor innerHTML's bug, nor (unbelievably
> long list of IE bugs).

What is an "innerHTML bug"? The - innerHTML - property is a Microsoft
invention, and has not yet become subject to any formal standard
(proposals don't count in this regard), so there are very good grounds
for asserting that whatever IE does is 'correct' (because they define
their own invention), and whenever anyone else differs then they are
the ones with the 'bug'.

Richard.
From: Ry Nohryb on
On Jul 27, 1:58 pm, Richard Cornford <Rich...(a)litotes.demon.co.uk>
wrote:

> What is an "innerHTML bug"?

Who knows.

> The - innerHTML - property is a Microsoft
> invention, and has not yet become subject to any formal standard
> (proposals don't count in this regard), so there are very good grounds
> for asserting that whatever IE does is 'correct' (because they define
> their own invention), and whenever anyone else differs then they are
> the ones with the 'bug'.

I see, it's my fault to expect it to work with <table>s and
<otherArbitrarilyChosenElement>s (*) (in IE, innerHTML is *read*only*
for these... ROTFLOL: "unknown runtime error").

The reason being that Microsoft brilliantly rounded their own
invention to full perfection by adding the clause "you can use it
freely, well, not really" in the definition, right ?

Thanks, but I prefer much more the innerHTML that works r/w for any
kind of element, the one that comes with every browser except IE.

(*)table, select, pre, thead, tfoot, tbody, tr, and in some
circumstances, even a <div> !
--
Jorge.
From: Asen Bozhilov on
Ry Nohryb wrote:
> Asen Bozhilov wrote:
>

> > Please follow the posted link. As I wrote the problem is in the
> > programmer, not in GC. (...)
>
> The problem is in IE, only in IE.

It is propaganda. While IE is not the best browser which has been
made, your objections are demagogy. What exactly is the problem that
you can not write applications without circular reference pattern? How
many time circular reference pattern is the best design which you can
choice? If you do not want to care about circular reference pattern -
just do not created in first place.