From: Bin Chen on
Hi,

I am doing some fail-over research, there is one question comes up to
me. If the server1 is down unexpectedly, how can the data be migrated
to server2? I think this question is not a YES/NO question, there must
be some mechanism that can make the data loss as little as possible.
Using pure software, is there any good framework/paper existing there
for me to refer to?

Thanks.
Bin
From: Daniel Molina Wegener on

From: Scott Lurndal on
Bin Chen <binary.chen(a)gmail.com> writes:
>Hi,
>
>I am doing some fail-over research, there is one question comes up to
>me. If the server1 is down unexpectedly, how can the data be migrated
>to server2? I think this question is not a YES/NO question, there must
>be some mechanism that can make the data loss as little as possible.

Best way is to move the storage off the server via fiberchannel, iSCSI or
a NAS protocol. Let the storage subsystem handle the data (e.g. raid5).
Zone the lun to the primary and backup servers. Ensure the software
can roll-back any partially completed transactions at the time of the
failover.

>Using pure software, is there any good framework/paper existing there
>for me to refer to?

DB2, Oracle, Sybase all support this type of failover with data consistency;
I'm sure they all have white papers that would be helpful to you.

scott
From: David Schwartz on
On Jul 20, 10:36 pm, Bin Chen <binary.c...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> I am doing some fail-over research, there is one question comes up to
> me. If the server1 is down unexpectedly, how can the data be migrated
> to server2? I think this question is not a YES/NO question, there must
> be some mechanism that can make the data loss as little as possible.
> Using pure software, is there any good framework/paper existing there
> for me to refer to?

If you need to failover data, then that data should not be stored on
just one system. Your data flow goes like this:

1) System gets data.

2) System replicates data to failover system.

3) System processes data itself.

4) System acknowledges data.

The order of steps 2 and 3 may be reversed depending on circumstances.
The data has to be replicated *before* the failure.

DS
From: mac on
> ...If the server1 is down unexpectedly, how can the data be migrated

Two possibilities are
1) the data is connected to more than one server.
2) you have (always) already migrated eniugh information to reconstruct
the data

For 1) use dual-port devices and busses
For 2) make a copy and send along any changes. You may not need to
failover all changes, only those before some kind of checkpoint or those
not made in the last 30 seconds.
--
mac the naïf