From: lloyd on
Hello All,

Well after finally getting through the trouble of installing Windows
Sharepoint Services 3.0 (removed .net 2.0 while installing 3.0, long
story), I am now getting a Configuration Failed message when running
the Sharepoint Products and Technologies Configuration Wizard. The
application event log and configuration log Files show these errors:

Failed to register SharePoint services.
An exception of type System.ArgumentException was thrown. Additional
exception information: Error during encryption or decryption. System
error code 997.
System.ArgumentException: Error during encryption or decryption.
System error code 997.
at
Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPCredentialManager.DecryptWithMasterKey(Byte[]
rgbEncryptedPassphrase)
at
Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPEncryptedString.GetSecureStringValue()
at
Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPEncryptedString.get_SecureStringValue()
at
Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPProcessIdentity.get_SecurePassword()
at
Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPProcessIdentity.Provision()
at
Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPWindowsServiceInstance.ProvisionCredentials()
at
Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPWindowsServiceInstance.Provision(Boolean
start)
at
Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPWindowsServiceInstance.Provision()
at
Microsoft.SharePoint.Search.Administration.SPSearchServiceInstance.Provision()
at
Microsoft.SharePoint.PostSetupConfiguration.ServicesTask.InstallServiceInstanceInConfigDB(Boolean
provisionTheServiceInstanceToo, String serviceInstanceRegistryKeyName,
Object sharepointServiceObject)
at
Microsoft.SharePoint.PostSetupConfiguration.ServicesTask.InstallServiceInstances(Boolean
provisionTheServiceInstancesToo, String serviceRegistryKeyName, Object
sharepointServiceObject)
at
Microsoft.SharePoint.PostSetupConfiguration.ServicesTask.InstallServices(Boolean
provisionTheServicesToo)
at Microsoft.SharePoint.PostSetupConfiguration.ServicesTask.Run()
at
Microsoft.SharePoint.PostSetupConfiguration.TaskThread.ExecuteTask()

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling WSS3.0, but to no avail, I still
get the same errors. Any help at this point would be greatly
appreciated. Thanks in advance.

- Lloyd

From: A.Kosykh on
On 21 ���, 03:49, "lloyd" <thrdey...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> Well after finally getting through the trouble of installing Windows
> Sharepoint Services 3.0 (removed .net 2.0 while installing 3.0, long
> story), I am now getting a Configuration Failed message when running
> the Sharepoint Products and Technologies Configuration Wizard. The
> application event log and configuration log Files show these errors:
>
> Failed to register SharePoint services.
> An exception of type System.ArgumentException was thrown. Additional
> exception information: Error during encryption or decryption. System
> error code 997.
> - Lloyd

Hi, Lloyd.

I had the same problem and this
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/software/aspnet/28909532/cryptographyexception.aspx
helps me.

WBR, Artem.

From: A.Kosykh on
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927156

From: lloyd on
On Mar 24, 6:15 am, "A.Kosykh" <AKos...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927156

Thanks