From: kavallin on
2 servers with solaris,veritas cluster and DB2 UDB ESE v8.1 with
fixp10. ON the primary db2 server did I create 2 db2 instances and the
admin instance. It is possible to start both db2 instances and the db2
admin server on the primary server but ...failover works only for the 2
db2 instances and not for the admin server.. Manually ,db2admin start ,
fails with
SQL4404N The DB2 Administration Server does not exist.
Explanation:
The DB2 Administration Server was not found on the machine

Is it something special you have to do with DB2 UDB ESE to get failover
working ? I have done this many times but only with DB2 UDB WSE...
my hair is turning grey because of this so if anyone has some ideas pls
let me know.

From: Ian on
kavallin(a)hotmail.com wrote:
> 2 servers with solaris,veritas cluster and DB2 UDB ESE v8.1 with
> fixp10. ON the primary db2 server did I create 2 db2 instances and the
> admin instance. It is possible to start both db2 instances and the db2
> admin server on the primary server but ...failover works only for the 2
> db2 instances and not for the admin server.. Manually ,db2admin start ,
> fails with
> SQL4404N The DB2 Administration Server does not exist.
> Explanation:
> The DB2 Administration Server was not found on the machine
>
> Is it something special you have to do with DB2 UDB ESE to get failover
> working ? I have done this many times but only with DB2 UDB WSE...
> my hair is turning grey because of this so if anyone has some ideas pls
> let me know.

The DAS instance should not need to be an HA resource. You can just set
up an identical DAS instance on your standby server (which is always
running), and you should be fine.

From: kavallin on
Ian... maybe I was a bit unclear but my configuration is not with a
standby server ! so it's impossible to have more than one DAS instance
because the home dir is switched between the servers ....

From: kavallin on

From: m0002a on
kavallin(a)hotmail.com wrote:
> Ian... maybe I was a bit unclear but my configuration is not with a
> standby server ! so it's impossible to have more than one DAS instance
> because the home dir is switched between the servers ....

This is obviously a shared disk setup, and not HADR.

Why not create the DAS on a userid which has a home directory on the
local drives, not the shared disk. Then just create a DAS on each
server.