From: thelema418 on
Continuing to experience failures when installing update listed below. I use
Windows Vista Home Premium service pack 2 64-bit. I don't know what I should
do about this problem.

Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB915597 (Definition 1.65.146.0)

Installation date: ‎9/‎2/‎2009 11:02 PM

Installation status: Failed

Error details: Code 5

Update type: Important

Install this update to revise the definition files used to detect spyware
and other potentially unwanted software. Once you have installed this item,
it cannot be removed.

More information:
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/about/overview.mspx

Help and Support:

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
Can you update Defender manually from within the application?

Can you update Defender manually via this page? =>
http://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/Definitions/HowToWD.aspx

Windows Vista, but only for Service Pack 2 (SP2). This support for Windows
Vista Service Pack 2 (SP2) is valid until November 26, 2009. Availability of
chat or e-mail support differs depending on your geographic location. Go to
http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?prid=13014&gprid=582034 &
select appropriate category (i.e., Download issue; Installation issue;
Issues after you install a service pack).

You'll find additional support for Vista SP2 issues in
microsoft.public.windows.vista.general newsgroup and in these forums:

• http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vistawu/threads/

• http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vistainstall/threads

• http://social.technet.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/itprovistasp/threads/

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
www.banthecheck.com

thelema418 wrote:
> Continuing to experience failures when installing update listed below. I
> use Windows Vista Home Premium service pack 2 64-bit. I don't know what I
> should do about this problem.
>
> Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB915597 (Definition 1.65.146.0)
>
> Installation date: ‎9/‎2/‎2009 11:02 PM
>
> Installation status: Failed
>
> Error details: Code 5
>
> Update type: Important
>

> Install this update to revise the definition files used to detect spyware
> and other potentially unwanted software. Once you have installed this
> item,
> it cannot be removed.
>
> More information:
> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/about/overview.mspx