From: CarlosF on
Within the last week or so I got a new update for Microsoft Security
Essentials, an upgrade package - KB2254596, I think.

I've got a machine with WinXP+SP3 and I am also running:
Avast Anti-virus and Sygate Personal Firewall.

Now, the installation of the package failed (error 0x80070643:, I believe).

I rebooted the machine - still failed.

Then I noticed that there was a mention somewhere about removing any
anti-virus/anti-spyware installed. Well, I just stopped the Anti-virus and
then stopped all the services related to it, hoping this would work.

It didn't - now my Microsoft Security Essentials is gone (??) and obviously
I had to activate Avast again.

Any hint about:
- cause?
- solution?

(Do I really need to uninstall Avast?)

Thanks in advance for any help.

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
> Then I noticed that there was a mention somewhere about removing any
> anti-virus/anti-spyware installed.

There was a very prominent notice about this when you installed MSE.

> Do I really need to uninstall Avast?

Yes. Only one (1) anti-virus application should be installed & loading at
boot!

Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on the computer

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Microsoft Security Essentials Support Forums
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/mse

Can I install Microsoft Security Essentials [or any other
anti-virus/anti-spyware application] to clean up my already-infected
computer?
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/msescan/thread/87058857-d181-4019-a723-efd9a49d9275
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

From: CarlosF on
Thanks for the reply.

No, neither Norton or McFee, ever - only Avavst.

And now, how do I recover/reinstall MSE back? It's not showing up in Windows
Update anymore.

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
Uninstall Avast & reboot.

Do a clean install of MSE & reboot.

For further assistance, post in the appropriate MSE forum:

From: CarlosF on
Many thanks PA Bear, I'll do that.

(Although the thought of being momentarily unprotected is a bit unsettling..)