From: skaizun on

FWIW, I'm a computer programmer with over 30 years of experience as a
software engineer, and over a decade of a sideline business installing
and fixing computers for home and small businesses.

For the record, I can't believe that someone in this thread actually
suggested reformatting the hard drive. People like that should be kicked
out of websites, like this one, for either naively giving bad advice or
purposely acting like a trollish hacker/spammer/etc.

Now, onto the problem at hand: I had the same "x80070422" -(which, for
those not in the "know" is actually a hexadecimal number, which, IMHO,
should never be displayed to users; instead, a simple English line or
link should be given)- problem with Defender on my Vista machine, though
only well after a year since I bought the computer, and only a month
since its last update -(I don't believe in wasting computer processing
time and power by updating every nanosecond). -I tried the Help's
"Repair.bat" suggestion to no avail -(surprise, surprise!). -Before
rebooting, I decided to see if there was a virus on my system, so I ran
a quick anti-virus scan on my drives, then ran Defender. After Defender
completed, and while the A/V was still running, I tried to update
Defender, and, lo and behold, it worked! My guess is that there's a
timing glitch or physical lock, either or both of which need to be
cleared, simply by running Defender, normally.

I know it has been a long time since the problem was first entered into
this forum, and, hopefully, the person who initiated it has solved it on
his/her own, but I also hope this will help anyone who searches the net
with the same problem, as I had.

--
skaizun

From: MowGreen on
80070422 ERROR_SERVICE_DISABLED
The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because
it has no enabled devices associated with it.

" Before rebooting, I decided to see if there was a virus on my system,
so I ran a quick anti-virus scan on my drives, then ran Defender. After
Defender completed, and while the A/V was still running, I tried to
update Defender, and, lo and behold, it worked! My guess is that there's
a timing glitch or physical lock, either or both of which need to be
cleared, simply by running Defender, normally. "

Running Defender as in scanning with it or attempting to update it from
within it's GUI ? Perhaps the installed AV was locking a Service that
Defender needs to update it's definitions because the AV contains an
antispyware component ?

And yes, showing Users hexadecimal messages is rather useless without
presenting methods and/or links for resolving said messages.

MowGreen
================
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
================

banthecheck.com

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
skaizun wrote:
> FWIW, I'm a computer programmer with over 30 years of experience as a
> software engineer...

You know you're up against a brick wall whenever you read that in a
newsgroup or forum!

One would think that someone with such experience would know to:

1. Begin one's own, new thread about one's problem & computer instead of
hijacking someone else's thread; and...

2. State one's full Windows version in one's post.

Error message when you try to install updates by using the Windows Update
Web site or the Microsoft Update Web site: "0x80070422"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/958043

[Ignore the APPLIES TO section if Win7; Access KB971058 via Internet
Explorer (32-bit) only; Run the Fix It in DEFAULT and AGGRESSIVE modes, then
reboot]
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058