From: Daave on
I use Avira Antivir.

When I visited this page:

http://www.techsupportforum.com/hardware-support/motherboards-bios-cpu/230932-bios-rootkit-process-elimination.html

the Avira Guard went off, identifying

35035[1].js

as containing the following:

Virus or unwanted program 'HEUR/HTML.Malware [heuristic]'

I moved it to the Quarantine (actually this happened twice).

I assume this is a false positive, but is there an easy way to confirm?
I thought about restoring it to its location in the TIF folder and then
uploading it to Virus Total and/or Jotti. But is there a way to upload
directly from the Quarantine?

Also, is there an online service that will scan a Web page? If so, I
would like to send the above URL to get a second opinion.

From: David H. Lipman on
From: "Daave" <daave(a)example.com>

| I use Avira Antivir.

| When I visited this page:

| h**p://www.techsupportforum.com/hardware-support/motherboards-bios-cpu/230932-bios-
| rootkit-process-elimination.html

| the Avira Guard went off, identifying

| 35035[1].js

| as containing the following:

| Virus or unwanted program 'HEUR/HTML.Malware [heuristic]'

| I moved it to the Quarantine (actually this happened twice).

| I assume this is a false positive, but is there an easy way to confirm?
| I thought about restoring it to its location in the TIF folder and then
| uploading it to Virus Total and/or Jotti. But is there a way to upload
| directly from the Quarantine?

| Also, is there an online service that will scan a Web page? If so, I
| would like to send the above URL to get a second opinion.

Not happening with me.

--
Dave

From: MEB on
On 02/13/2010 10:09 PM, Daave wrote:
> I use Avira Antivir.
>
> When I visited this page:
>
> http://www.techsupportforum.com/hardware-support/motherboards-bios-cpu/230932-bios-rootkit-process-elimination.html
>
> the Avira Guard went off, identifying
>
> 35035[1].js
>
> as containing the following:
>
> Virus or unwanted program 'HEUR/HTML.Malware [heuristic]'
>
> I moved it to the Quarantine (actually this happened twice).
>
> I assume this is a false positive, but is there an easy way to confirm?
> I thought about restoring it to its location in the TIF folder and then
> uploading it to Virus Total and/or Jotti. But is there a way to upload
> directly from the Quarantine?
>
> Also, is there an online service that will scan a Web page? If so, I
> would like to send the above URL to get a second opinion.

http://www.UnmaskParasites.com/security-report/?page=www.techsupportforum.com/hardware-support/motherboards-bios-cpu/230932-bios-rootkit-process-elimination.html

You must enable JAVA and allow cookies to use the site.

--
MEB
http://peoplescounsel.org/ref/windows-main.htm
From: "FromTheRafters" erratic on
"Daave" <daave(a)example.com> wrote in message
>I use Avira Antivir.
>
> When I visited this page:
>
> http://www.techsupportforum.com/hardware-support/motherboards-bios-cpu/230932-bios-rootkit-process-elimination.html
>
> the Avira Guard went off, identifying
>
> 35035[1].js
>
> as containing the following:
>
> Virus or unwanted program 'HEUR/HTML.Malware [heuristic]'

That is not happening here, did it happen only once?

> I moved it to the Quarantine (actually this happened twice).

I assume you mean the alert, not the website visit. Avira AntiVir will
alert twice because it scans twice (once on read operation once on
write).

Does going back to the site consistantly produce the alert? (perhaps an
objection to an advertisement?)

> I assume this is a false positive, but is there an easy way to
> confirm?

Have it looked at by professionals.

> I thought about restoring it to its location in the TIF folder and
> then uploading it to Virus Total and/or Jotti.

Sometimes that is helpful. Sometimes not for you, but only for the
participating vendors. New malware can give results similar to a FP
declaration's results.

> But is there a way to upload directly from the Quarantine?

IIRC there is a way to send a sample via e-mail to Avira directly from
quarantine. Otherwise, you may have to restore from quarantine to upload
to VT, Jotti, or VirScan.

> Also, is there an online service that will scan a Web page? If so, I
> would like to send the above URL to get a second opinion.

You could check Norton's "Safeweb", but I don't know if you can submit
it for consideration by them.

From: Daave on
FromTheRafters wrote:
> "Daave" <daave(a)example.com> wrote in message
>> I use Avira Antivir.
>>
>> When I visited this page:
>>
>> http://www.techsupportforum.com/hardware-support/motherboards-bios-cpu/230932-bios-rootkit-process-elimination.html
>>
>> the Avira Guard went off, identifying
>>
>> 35035[1].js
>>
>> as containing the following:
>>
>> Virus or unwanted program 'HEUR/HTML.Malware [heuristic]'
>
> That is not happening here, did it happen only once?

Just for that one visit.

>> I moved it to the Quarantine (actually this happened twice).
>
> I assume you mean the alert, not the website visit. Avira AntiVir will
> alert twice because it scans twice (once on read operation once on
> write).
>
> Does going back to the site consistantly produce the alert? (perhaps
> an objection to an advertisement?)

No. It's fine now.

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2