From: David H. Lipman on
From: "MEB" <MEB-not-here(a)hotmail.com>

< snip >

| Yeah, in part due to Usenet abusers, and in part to control potential
| content to valid users. Similar to the original semi-private MS forums,
| and those completely private that still exist. Its a shame we've come
| full circle, back to control and moderation, but I can see where and why
| the Usenet experiment became a failure in many corporation's eyes.

Usenet wasn't/Isn't and experiment. It is one of the oldest facets of the Internet. NNTP
was never really updated to new standards and thus fell off to the wayside and Google
Groups is is major killer of what Google Groups connects to.

--
Dave

From: "FromTheRafters" erratic on
"MEB" <MEB-not-here(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message

> If we constantly call them names or question their activities, they
> will likely stop participating altogether.

Well, it's worth a try. I'm in!

:oD

From: MEB on
On 12/08/2009 09:03 PM, David H. Lipman wrote:
> From: "MEB" <MEB-not-here(a)hotmail.com>
>
> < snip >
>
> | Yeah, in part due to Usenet abusers, and in part to control potential
> | content to valid users. Similar to the original semi-private MS forums,
> | and those completely private that still exist. Its a shame we've come
> | full circle, back to control and moderation, but I can see where and why
> | the Usenet experiment became a failure in many corporation's eyes.
>
> Usenet wasn't/Isn't and experiment. It is one of the oldest facets of the Internet. NNTP
> was never really updated to new standards and thus fell off to the wayside and Google
> Groups is is major killer of what Google Groups connects to.

I have to laugh at that, the whole Internet experience/aspect is a
massive experiment. One needs merely look at the projected aspects to be
placed, such as cloud... once expected to be FOR the users, now just an
extension of advertising and designed usage. What a wonderful propaganda
and sales machine it turned out to be.

--
MEB
http://peoplescounsel.org/ref/windows-main.htm
From: MEB on
On 12/08/2009 09:16 PM, FromTheRafters wrote:
> "MEB" <MEB-not-here(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>> If we constantly call them names or question their activities, they
>> will likely stop participating altogether.
>
> Well, it's worth a try. I'm in!
>
> :oD

Okay,, but it never worked for Usenet abusers,, then again using these
techniques on non-trolls or other innocent users likely will drive away
further usage of these groups...

So is that what you really want?

From: David H. Lipman on
From: "MEB" <MEB-not-here(a)hotmail.com>

| On 12/08/2009 09:03 PM, David H. Lipman wrote:
>> From: "MEB" <MEB-not-here(a)hotmail.com>

>> < snip >

>> | Yeah, in part due to Usenet abusers, and in part to control potential
>> | content to valid users. Similar to the original semi-private MS forums,
>> | and those completely private that still exist. Its a shame we've come
>> | full circle, back to control and moderation, but I can see where and why
>> | the Usenet experiment became a failure in many corporation's eyes.

>> Usenet wasn't/Isn't and experiment. It is one of the oldest facets of the Internet.
>> NNTP
>> was never really updated to new standards and thus fell off to the wayside and Google
>> Groups is is major killer of what Google Groups connects to.

| I have to laugh at that, the whole Internet experience/aspect is a
| massive experiment. One needs merely look at the projected aspects to be
| placed, such as cloud... once expected to be FOR the users, now just an
| extension of advertising and designed usage. What a wonderful propaganda
| and sales machine it turned out to be.

LOL -- Great perspective ! :-)

--
Dave