From: Bob Butler on

"Karl E. Peterson" <karl(a)exmvps.org> wrote in message
<cut>
> I can one-up that! <eg> Right-click on Recycle Bin, select Properties,
> check off "Do not move files to the Recycle Bin. Remove files immediately
> when deleted."

Probably one of the first things I do when setting up a new system (for
myself anyway). Right after setting Windows Classic style and the "classic"
start menu and telling explore to stop hiding files and extensions.

From: Tony Spratt on
"Bob Butler" <noway(a)nospam.ever> wrote in message

> "Karl E. Peterson" <karl(a)exmvps.org> wrote in message
> <cut>
>> I can one-up that! <eg> Right-click on Recycle Bin, select Properties,
>> check off "Do not move files to the Recycle Bin. Remove files immediately
>> when deleted."
>
> Probably one of the first things I do when setting up a new system (for
> myself anyway). Right after setting Windows Classic style and the
> "classic" start menu and telling explore to stop hiding files and
> extensions.

How annoying are those default settings? Yes, I *do* want to see extensions,
no I *don't* want you to hide files from me and, believe it or not, I *do*
need to see inside the Windows folder.

As an aside, some of my users have extensions hidden for common file types
and also have a fairly straightforward approach to renaming documents,
leading to them thinking they have called a Word document, for example,
"Audit Report." (note the full stop). This means the file ends up actually
being called "Audit Report..doc" (two dots). Fine and dandy - until you try
to upload it to SharePoint. The error message, of course, doesn't actually
identify the problem - cue trial and error until you switch extensions back
on and see what should have been obvious.

From: amdrit on
Isn't moving a file more operations and thus a longer process then simply
deleting the file you found that matches the criteria?

This sounds like something that you are doing on a regular basis, I wonder
if you have a lot of fragmentation on that drive. That could another reason
for slow processing.

Even still, if you are going to itterate over a large directory of files
only to move them and then ultimately delete them based on date, I'd perform
the delete right there, or queue it up for another thread to delete from.

From: Ralph on

"amdrit" <amdrit(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Isn't moving a file more operations and thus a longer process then simply
> deleting the file you found that matches the criteria?
>
> This sounds like something that you are doing on a regular basis, I wonder
> if you have a lot of fragmentation on that drive. That could another
reason
> for slow processing.
>
> Even still, if you are going to itterate over a large directory of files
> only to move them and then ultimately delete them based on date, I'd
perform
> the delete right there, or queue it up for another thread to delete from.

Within the same medium a "move" is usually just a renaming, ie, no bits get
moved around. A delete means finding each of the 'storage blocks' and
marking them as invalid, ie. a process than takes more clicks.

Moving files to a single folder is merely a quick way to "queue them up".

Severe fragmentation could have a possible impact on performance and is a
point no one brought up.

-ralph