From: Bee on
My book on ActiveX is very poor when it comes to ActiveX EXEs or DLLs; barely
a mention. What to buy it? lol
Does anyone have an excellent book that I might then find on eBay or
someplace, even a library so I can read more details about ActiveX EXE.
Title and ISBN?

As was previouly mentoned in a post to consider a "Factory"
So now what about Factories?
How do I Google that?

Again -
Have a main app and want to launch multiple ActiveX EXEs (all the same) that
run in their own memory space and thread.
Want to treat them as an array and WithEvents so I do not have to write and
maintain repeats of the same code etc. Messy without the Index.
I need to pass them params and get an occasional event from each.
No communications speed between main and ActiveX is required.

From: mayayana on

> My book on ActiveX is very poor when it comes to ActiveX EXEs or DLLs;
barely
> a mention. What to buy it? lol
> Does anyone have an excellent book that I might then find on eBay or
> someplace, even a library so I can read more details about ActiveX EXE.
> Title and ISBN?

I don't know about getting events through a single event
sub from an array of objects, but as for a book, I gave you
a link in your earlier thread to Dan Appleman's ActiveX
book. That's the only book I know of that deals with ActiveX
components to any extent. They're kind of a secret in a
way. Few people seem to use them. I use them quite a bit
myself, but mainly as scriptin components.

Also, about the missing posts: We were talking about
that the other day, and it's also come up in the scripting
group. Posts have been not showing up for a week or
two. It's something that seems to happen every couple
of months. I don't know why. It's a mystery how something
can be posted to msnews and never show up, yet be
on google groups.

If you have a post that keeps getting blocked and you're
desperate to get it through, I find that it works to add spaces.
I use a short VBScript to add a space after every character.
It makes the text a little harder to read -- like reading a
unicode file in an ascii editor -- but it works to circumvent
whatever half-baked filter Microsoft seems to be using.

From: Bee on
Well, your reply is not on the MS Community and IS on Google Groups.
Thanks but Dan's book seems lacking.
I found a COM+ book that seems to be helpful but cannot view it all on line.
It is at my distant brick and morter library and is available on line for
sale so that is one option. More I hope. I ahve made some progress and have
a working ActiveX EXE as a single non-array but need the next sep of better
integration rather than have to pre-create as many object that might be
needed.
Of course perfomance is an issue and I cannot tell yet if my limit is N or
N+1 to have all task running at the same time (sort of).

As alway thanks for your replies.

From: Desi on
Here's three, Bee.

Developing COM/ActiveX Components with Visual Basic 6
A Guide To The Perplexed
By Dan Appleman
SAMS
ISBN: 1-56276-576-0

Visual Basic Object & Component Handbook
By Peter Vogel
Prentice Hall
ISBN: 0-13-023073-1

Microsoft Visual Basic 6.0 Component Tools Guide
(This is Volume 3 of the three volume Microsoft Visual Basic 6.0 Reference
Library)
Microsoft Press
ISBN: 1-57231-864-3
(This book is available online at MSDN and it's an excellent place to
start.)

Also, I think you will find that more one begins to communicate/exchange
data between threads/processes,
the more one will come to use APIs. An excellent reference for that is:

Visual Basic Programmer's Guide to the Win32 API
By Dan Appleman
SAMS
ISBN: 0-672-31590-4

HTH,

Desi

From: Nobody on
In MSDN Library Oct 2001, use search by title only, and look for "Creating
an ActiveX EXE Component". Use "Locate" button to see where it's in relation
to the contents.

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Prev: Fast way to delete files