From: mayayana on
> Windows Mail was Outlook express under a new name. Windows Live Mail is
> a slightly enhanced version.

Thanks. It's confusing, especially since MS seems
to have stuck a "live" sticker, willy nilly, on all sorts
of things. That despite the fact that Windows Live Mail
seems to be an *offline*, installed program and not part
of the "Live" program at all.
(And it's not clear -- from Microsoft's info. page or from
wikipedia -- what the "enhancements" are, other
than the loss of ability to read email headers. :)

This page lists newsreaders:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Usenet_newsreaders

Maybe some people reading this from Google groups
or Microsoft "communities" webpages will be interested.

I'm still not clear about Bee's situation, though.
He seems to be reading web-based groups, but I
didn't find any indication in the descriptions of
Windows Live Mail that it can't handle NNTP.

From: Karl E. Peterson on
Dee Earley wrote:
> On 23/10/2009 19:20, mayayana wrote:
>>> why? well because that is how i first learned to access this newsgtroup.
>>> I have Windows Live Mail that has newsreader.
>>
>> I've never used Windows Mail. Is that the same as
>> Windows Live Mail? I thought it was just Vista's
>> renamed Outlook Express.
>
> Windows Mail was Outlook express under a new name. Windows Live Mail is
> a slightly enhanced version.

Depends on one's definition of "enhanced" I suppose...
--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

From: Eduardo on
Karl E. Peterson escribi�:
> Dee Earley wrote:
>>> I've never used Windows Mail. Is that the same as
>>> Windows Live Mail? I thought it was just Vista's
>>> renamed Outlook Express.
>> Windows Mail was Outlook express under a new name. Windows Live Mail is
>> a slightly enhanced version.
>
> Depends on one's definition of "enhanced" I suppose...

In this case it means "some features resticted".
From: Bee on
If there was an award for Discussion Best Thread I think this one would win.
Thanks to both of you for this most educational discussion. Each of you
provides a missing chapter from any book I have every seen.
I am still digesting it all and will try to incorporate your suggestions
into my project once I get my brain fully wrapped around it.
Thanks again.
I hope it is not too burried that others might not see it and benefit.

"Schmidt" wrote:

> "mayayana" <mayaXXyana(a)rcXXn.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>
> > You may see something I missed, but is there
> > any reason that the complexity you're suggesting
> > is necessary and the simpler method I posted
> > can't be used? I only wrote it as "air code", but
> > it seems to work fine.
>
> Your code should work fine too of course - I would
> (presumably) have written it exactly this way, if I wanted to
> implement a "fast solution with an expected lifetime that
> is not all that large".
> But you probably know yourself, how such seemingly
> "throw-away-projects" grow sometimes - they just don't
> want to die... ;-)
>
> Your class C1 does basically the same as cEvtWrapper.
> You will need such a small (indirect) Event-Receiver-class
> in either case, to be able to aggregate Events of other
> Objects somehow - so, not much difference here.
>
> The only thing which is basically different between
> our approaches is, that you spare out the cFactory,
> and let the Form-Class do its work instead (directly).
> But that in turn requires your C1-Class, to *know* the
> concrete Class-Interface of your Form (Form1) ... Now, if
> you want to use your C1 implementation also in other Forms
> (i.e Form2 or Form3), then you would have to rewrite or
> adapt your C1-EventDelegation-code.
>
> In my opinion the additional cFactory leads to a cleaner
> implementation, since you could (re)use such a Factory
> in any Form- or Class-module, not only in an "especially
> adapted Form1". Also, cEvtWrapper, as well as cFactory
> could be moved outside of the Main-project (into an
> ActiveX-Dll) without problems (in case you'd want to go
> there - i.e. if your project-code grows - and the factory-
> construct + some additions here an there became proven
> and stable over time).
>
> Aside from that, Bee asked directly for explanations of the
> "factory-term" or "factory-patterns" others have brought up.
> I just tried to fill that pattern with some life, focussing
> a bit on his concrete scenario. Introducing a Form as the
> final "factory-endpoint" where everything is glued together
> in the end, just didn't seem right to me in this "please explain
> a factory"-context.
> A dedicated class with an appropriate name, encapsulating
> the details "away" and thereby able to disburden the Form-
> (GUI)Code to some extend, seemed more reasonable to me.
>
> Also in your example the "constructor-effect" of a dedicated
> factory is not addressed ... i.e. you need this codelines:
> Set a1(0) = New C1
> a1(0).ID1 = 0
> a1(0).StartTime 2000
>
> Set a1(1) = New C1
> a1(1).ID1 = 1
> a1(1).StartTime 5000
>
> ....where with a fully implemented cFactory you could write:
> oFactory.AddThread 0, 2000
> oFactory.AddThread 1, 5000
>
> Just my 2 cents, hope no offense is taken...;-)
>

> Olaf
>

> .

First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5