From: Bee on
already looked there. no details that answer my questions.
maybe later versions of MSDN do it?

From: Bee on
thanks.
I have a few of those but they do not answer my questions. probably because
I cannot do what I want to do easily.
others have talked about "factory" but i do not understand that and am
googling and only find references to .NET and factory so far.
Factory is probably just a fancy name for something simple but until I know
what that means ...

From: mayayana on

> Well, your reply is not on the MS Community and IS on Google Groups.

Strange. I tune to msnews and I see my post with
yours under it.
I think that COM+ is mainly concerned with using
COM objects across a network. There may not be much
of relevance there.

> Thanks but Dan's book seems lacking.

Maybe, but I'm not sure there's much more to know.
A DLL or Ax EXE is just another kind of PE file. COM
and a few specialized aspects are the only difference.
And with DLL and EXEs (as opposed to OCXs/userControls)
there aren't even many specialized details. You just
"expose" a class and put code behind it.

I don't know whether this will work. It's an off-the-top-
of-the-head sort of thing, but I was just testing something
out:
If you reference an ActiveX EXE that has events you
can create it from a class. I created a simple EXE
called TestEv.Ops. I then referenced that.in the project.

The TestEv.Ops code:
'---------------------------------------------------------------------

Private Declare Sub Sleep Lib "kernel32" (ByVal dwMilliseconds As Long)

Public Event OK1()

'Sleep1 just provides a way to raise an event at a selected time.
Public Sub Sleep1(ByVal ms As Long)
Sleep ms
RaiseEvent OK1
End Sub
'---------------------------------------------

Then the project has a class named C1 with the following
code. Basically it creates a TestEv.Ops object at startup.
Then it provides a property to send it an ID number, and
a StartTime method to cause an event in it's TE at a chosen
time. When the event happens it then calls a friend sub in
the form, sending the ID number to identify which class instance
and which TestEv.Ops is involved.

'------------------------- Class C1
code -------------------------------------------
Option Explicit

Private mID As Long
Private WithEvents TE As TestEv.Ops

Public Property Let ID1(LID As Long)
mID = LID
End Property

Public Sub StartTime(ms As Long)
TE.Sleep1 ms
End Sub

Private Sub Class_Initialize()
Set TE = New TestEv.Ops
End Sub

Private Sub Class_Terminate()
Set TE = Nothing
End Sub

Private Sub TE_OK1()
Form1.DoItForm mID
End Sub
'--------------------------- end class C1 ---------------------

Finally there's Form1, with a button. When the button
is clicked two msgboxs will appear as expected, at
timed intervals:

'------------------ Form1 code: -----------------------------

Option Explicit
Private Declare Sub Sleep Lib "kernel32" (ByVal dwMilliseconds As Long)

Dim a1() As C1

Private Sub Command1_Click()
Set a1(0) = New C1
a1(0).ID1 = 0
a1(0).StartTime 2000

Set a1(1) = New C1
a1(1).ID1 = 1
a1(1).StartTime 5000

End Sub

Private Sub Form_Load()
ReDim a1(20) As C1
End Sub

Friend Sub DoItForm(ClassID As Long)
MsgBox ClassID
End Sub

Dim i As Long
For i = 0 To 20
Set a1(i) = Nothing
Next
End Sub

From: mayayana on
Also, why are you going to "Microsoft Communites"?
It's a crappy web interface that requires javascript.
Ditto for Google. Why not just use a decent newsreader
and tune to the NNTP server?

I get a kick out of the MS communities website. I never
enable javascript, and if I go to one of their links it gives
me a blank page with big red letters saying that it won't
work without javascript. But that's *after* the page is loaded.
If I stop the page load at just the right moment I can see
the posts just fine. :)

From: Nobody on
> "Nobody" wrote:
>
>> In MSDN Library Oct 2001, use search by title only, and look for
>> "Creating
>> an ActiveX EXE Component". Use "Locate" button to see where it's in
>> relation
>> to the contents.
>>
> already looked there. no details that answer my questions.
> maybe later versions of MSDN do it?

<Post order fixed>

Search by title only for "Designing Multithreaded Out-of-Process
Components". It answers your questions. Use "Locate" and check out some of
the topics in the same tree.

The previous topic I mentioned, "Creating an ActiveX EXE Component" is a
walkthrough example that spans several pages, but doesn't take more than an
hour or two to do. Scroll to the bottom of that page, "Creating an ActiveX
EXE Component" to "Sample Applications" heading, and check these samples.
But to understand these samples, it's best that you do the walkthrough.
Basically the samples show you how to use an intermediate class(called
Connector) to manage or limit how many objects are created in the AX EXE.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Prev: Fast way to delete files
Next: 'MappingInfo