From: scott s. on
"R. C. White" <rc(a)grandecom.net> wrote in

> Hi, Jay.
>
>> using Q2008HB and TT2009. What�s the proper tax line to use?
>
> The proper line to use FOR WHAT?
>
> Were any taxes withheld on those 1099 forms? If so, how did you
> enter the 1099 information in TT2009? Or in Quicken?
>
> All federal income taxes withheld on Forms W-2 and 1099 should
> appear on line 61 of Form 1040. How the total amount gets to that
> line depends on how you've entered data in the TurboTax screens.
> Did you enter the withholding yourself, or let the Financial
> Institutions download the information, along with the interest and
> dividend income amounts. Did you enter or download the data into
> Quicken, or directly into TurboTax?
>
> Right under line 61 is line 62, "2009 estimated tax payments and
> amount applied from 2009 return". This number also can be entered
> directly, although it usually is carried forward from other input
> forms.
>
> In any case, the proper treatment is usually to enter the amounts
> on, or have them automatically flow through, the Tax Payments
> Worksheet. This worksheet has sections to enter and accumulate
> Estimated Tax Payments, Tax Payments Other Than Withholding, and
> Taxes Withheld.
>
>> category that reflects taxes paid �after the fact�.
>
> There is no such entry on the Form 1040; there's only line 75,
> "Amount you owe".
>
> In Quicken Deluxe, we must "work around" the system to get the
> proper tax amounts recorded in the proper tax years. I've never
> used Quicken H&B, so I don't know if it has a better method for
> this.
>
> In Deluxe, I depart from the strict "cash method of accounting" and
> use accrual entries to record federal income taxes for each year.
> The tax balance paid on April 15, 2010, is not for 2010, but that's
> how it appears using the strict cash basis. And, since there were
> probably some prepayments - whether by withholding from wages or
> dividends or by estimated tax payments - and quite often a refund
> due, the April balance does not reflect the actual tax amount for
> ANY year.
>
> So I make a "non-cash" entry dated December 31 each year. I can't
> make this entry until I've completed my Form 1040 at some time in
> the following year, but I date it at year-end. My entry can be made
> in any Quicken Account; I usually use my "FIT Prepaid" account,
> which is where all my withholding and estimated tax payments are
> accumulated. As of 12/31/09, this account showed the total
> withholding for 2009 before my year-end entry. (If I made a 1/15/10
> estimated tax payment on 2009 taxes, I would need to mentally add
> that payment to the 12/31/09 balance in calculating my year-end
> entry. And if I owe a penalty for underpayment of estimated taxes,
> that penalty expense must be included in the year-end entry, too, of
> course.) Once my return is done, I use those final numbers to
> record my actual tax expense for 2009.

> [...]

Handling tax payments in Quicken is very tricky. I recommend setting
up different tax subcategories, so you can differentiate exactly
what is being paid or refunded, and while you set the tax item
linkage it is pretty much imperative that if you import into TTax
that you at least review the "tax payments worksheet" which is the
source form in TTax which flows your payments to other places.

a common problem is payment of Q4 state estimated tax after 1 Jan,
which is credited to the prior year by the state, but for the current
year by the feds. You also need to segregate any tax paid with
the return for the prior year from current year estimates. As far as
the 1/15 fed estimated payment, I just accept that it isn't in the
import data and manually add it on the tax payment worksheet.

I've been bit in the past by applying a prior year overpayment to
current year estimated payment that I didn't account for in Q in a
way that would be clear when running the Q tax schedule report.

a problem with federal estimated taxes is you are allowed to opt
to spread witholding equally to all four payments, or apply to
period actually paid, which extends to the subsequent 15th of the
month which Q can't really compute for you to determine which method
results in lowest estimate/abatement of penalty.

scott s.
..