From: piscesboy on
I simply assumed that since GLX was installed on my Fedora 13 release,
that OpenGL support was available for my version of X. But compilation
of an xscreensaver I got revealed to me that is was not the case.

I'm trying to install some OpenGl screensavers on my Gnome desktop,
and running the ./configure file on them gave me the following errors:

(the last 4 of a loooooong list:)

checking for GL/glext.h... no
checking for GL/glu.h... no
checking for GL/glx.h... no
configure: error: can't compile without OpenGL support

I know I obviously need those above mentioned files which are part of
a larger package, but what is it?
From: David W. Hodgins on
On Wed, 16 Jun 2010 19:41:25 -0400, piscesboy <oraclmaster(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> checking for GL/glext.h... no
> checking for GL/glu.h... no
> checking for GL/glx.h... no

> I know I obviously need those above mentioned files which are part of
> a larger package, but what is it?

Compiling a program requires the appropriate devel packages, not
just the library modules used to support a feature.

On my Mandriva 2010.0 system ...
$ urpmf GL/glx.h
libmesagl1-devel:/usr/include/GL/glx.h
nvidia96xx-devel:/usr/include/nvidia96xx/GL/glx.h
nvidia-current-devel:/usr/include/nvidia-current/GL/glx.h
nvidia173-devel:/usr/include/nvidia173/GL/glx.h
fglrx-devel:/usr/include/ATI/GL/glx.h
fglrx-devel:/usr/include/ATI/GL/glx.h

My understanding is that Mandriva is an offshoot of Fedora, so I
expect the package names are similar, if not the exact same.

Looks like libmesagl1-devel is the package needed for those files,
as it also contains the other two.

Regards, Dave Hodgins