From: Terminal Crazy on
Hi i'm runningFC8 and have noticed FC12 is the current release.
Is it possible to upgrade to FC12 without a full clean install? I know
this would be better but would like not to spend several days setting the
computer up.

TIA

--
Mitch

terminal_crazy(a)sand-hill.freeserve.co.uk
www.sand-hill.freeserve.co.uk/terminal_crazy

From: Bit Twister on
On Wed, 06 Jan 2010 07:34:54 +0000 (GMT), Terminal Crazy wrote:
> Hi i'm runningFC8 and have noticed FC12 is the current release.
> Is it possible to upgrade to FC12 without a full clean install?

Download each release, upgrade until you hit FC12. :)

> I know this would be better but would like not to spend several
> days setting the computer up.

And if you lost your drive while reading this message, what would you do.

Hack out a new partition, install FC12 as a multi-boot install, put
your changes in scripts and from now on you can do clean installs, run
your install/change scripts and you would be up a half hour after
clean install. Once you get new install running, old partition becomes
new release test partition.
From: habibielwa7id on
On Jan 6, 9:43 am, Bit Twister <BitTwis...(a)mouse-potato.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 06 Jan 2010 07:34:54 +0000 (GMT), Terminal Crazy wrote:
> > Hi i'm runningFC8 and have noticed FC12 is the current release.
> > Is it possible to upgrade to FC12 without a full clean install?
>
> Download each release, upgrade until you hit FC12.   :)
>
> >  I know this would be better but would like not to spend several
> > days setting the computer up.
>
> And if you lost your drive while reading this message, what would you do.
>
> Hack out a new partition, install FC12 as a multi-boot install, put
> your changes in scripts and from now on you can do clean installs, run
> your install/change scripts and you would be up a half hour after
> clean install. Once you get new install running, old partition becomes
> new release test partition.

Yes, This is better. Install another copy from the recent Fedora
distro.
But of course you still can upgrade your old Fedora, But suppose you
will have problems, And of course you will have, You must be capable
to depend on your self to solve it, or your system may not be
bootable.
The system I am talking to you from now was Fedora 9, And it's 12 now,
Also I have production systems were on old Fedora core 4, Last year I
upgraded them to Fedora 10.
From: J.O. Aho on
Terminal Crazy wrote:
> Hi i'm runningFC8 and have noticed FC12 is the current release.
> Is it possible to upgrade to FC12 without a full clean install?

Yes, and you can do it without downloading any CDs:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/YumUpgradeFaq

> I know this would be better but would like not to spend several days setting the
> computer up.

I do recommend a backup of important data. Uninstall 3rd party applications
you have installed (reinstall them after update), as the third party
applications are usually the reason to failed upgrades, as those aren't
updated in the update process and can cause dependency problems which prevents
some of your Fedora packages not to be updated which in it's turn causes yet
other problems like none working X Windows System.

--

//Aho
From: Stefan Patric on
On Wed, 06 Jan 2010 07:34:54 +0000, Terminal Crazy wrote:

> Hi i'm runningFC8 and have noticed FC12 is the current release. Is it
> possible to upgrade to FC12 without a full clean install? I know this
> would be better but would like not to spend several days setting the
> computer up.

Upgrade from 8 directly to 12? No. You're asking for trouble even if it
works which I doubt. A clean install is your best and least problem
prone option.

So, bite the bullet: Clean install, and do a dual boot like I do leaving
the old system (mine is 9) as a back up just in case.

Stef