From: Mike Jones on

I've probably missed something right under my nose but...

Old tapes => CD

1: Collect some wavs via arecord

2: Tweak 'em a bit using SoX

3: mkisofs -J -R -o AudioCD.iso file1.wav file2.wav

4: cdrecord dev=x,y,z AudioCD.iso

All I get is a coaster that makes a loud buzzing sound.

If I do...

cdrecord -pad dev=x,y,z this.wav that.wav other.wav

....I get a lovely working CD as a result.

The glitch seems to be in the "-pad" thing, as, according to man cdrecord

....cdrecord will pad the audio data to be a multiple of 2352 bytes. The
audio data padding is done with binary zeroes which is equal to absolute
silence.

So, how do I introduce that 2352 padding into things using mkisofs, so I
can generate an iso (that works) to record to disk later?

--
*=( http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/
*=( For all your UK news needs.
From: unruh on
On 2010-01-04, Mike Jones <Not(a)Arizona.Bay> wrote:

> I've probably missed something right under my nose but...
>
> Old tapes => CD
>
> 1: Collect some wavs via arecord
>
> 2: Tweak 'em a bit using SoX
>
> 3: mkisofs -J -R -o AudioCD.iso file1.wav file2.wav

This will generate a data filesystem which contains the files file1.wav,
file2.wav. Ie, if you put that Cd into your computer, it will show data
files.

> 4: cdrecord dev=x,y,z AudioCD.iso
>
> All I get is a coaster that makes a loud buzzing sound.

Nope, as I said, put it into your computer and you will see files on
that CD. It is not an audio CD.
The purpose of mkisofs is to make (mk) and ISO9660 (iso) filesystem
(fs), not to create an audio cd.

As you discovered cdrecord will do that for you if you give it .wav
files, or give it the -audio option (man cdrecord)

> If I do...
>
> cdrecord -pad dev=x,y,z this.wav that.wav other.wav
>
> ...I get a lovely working CD as a result.
>
> The glitch seems to be in the "-pad" thing, as, according to man cdrecord

Nope. that is not the glitch. It is useful to create a proper CD, but
you are mkisofs for the wrong purpose.

> ...cdrecord will pad the audio data to be a multiple of 2352 bytes. The
> audio data padding is done with binary zeroes which is equal to absolute
> silence.
>
> So, how do I introduce that 2352 padding into things using mkisofs, so I
> can generate an iso (that works) to record to disk later?

You do not.

From: Mike Jones on
Responding to unruh:

[...]
>> If I do...
>>
>> cdrecord -pad dev=x,y,z this.wav that.wav other.wav
>>
>> ...I get a lovely working CD as a result.
>>
>> The glitch seems to be in the "-pad" thing, as, according to man
>> cdrecord
>
> Nope. that is not the glitch. It is useful to create a proper CD, but
> you are mkisofs for the wrong purpose.

Ah. That explains things then.

Next up, how do I create an iso of the AudioCD I want to burn later,
instead of creating\burning it at the time? (I'm thinking that a
collection of iso files would be easier to store and work from than a
collection of individual audio tracks.)

--
*=( http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/
*=( For all your UK news needs.
From: unruh on
On 2010-01-05, Mike Jones <Not(a)Arizona.Bay> wrote:
> Responding to unruh:
>

> [...]
>>> If I do...
>>>
>>> cdrecord -pad dev=x,y,z this.wav that.wav other.wav
>>>
>>> ...I get a lovely working CD as a result.
>>>
>>> The glitch seems to be in the "-pad" thing, as, according to man
>>> cdrecord
>>
>> Nope. that is not the glitch. It is useful to create a proper CD, but
>> you are mkisofs for the wrong purpose.
>

> Ah. That explains things then.
>
> Next up, how do I create an iso of the AudioCD I want to burn later,

iso== iso9660, a filesystem for use on CDs. Ie, Audio CDs are not isos.
Now you may be thinking of a raw disk image. I have no idea how to do
it, nor do I know why, since the .wav files take up no more room than
would that image, and they are then also useable by you.

> instead of creating\burning it at the time? (I'm thinking that a
> collection of iso files would be easier to store and work from than a
> collection of individual audio tracks.)

Not at all sure why you would feel that.

Note that if you wanted, you could use cdrdao and a .toc file to
describe the .wav files and the parts of them that you wanted to
include. I believe cdrecord also has the equivalent of the cdrdao's .toc
files, but I have never used it. You could also set up k3b projects.

From: Mike Jones on
Responding to unruh:

> On 2010-01-05, Mike Jones <Not(a)Arizona.Bay> wrote:
>> Responding to unruh:
>>

>> [...]
>>>
>>> Nope. that is not the glitch. It is useful to create a proper CD, but
>>> you are mkisofs for the wrong purpose.
>>

>> Ah. That explains things then.
>>
>> Next up, how do I create an iso of the AudioCD I want to burn later,
>
> iso== iso9660, a filesystem for use on CDs. Ie, Audio CDs are not isos.
> Now you may be thinking of a raw disk image. I have no idea how to do
> it, nor do I know why, since the .wav files take up no more room than
> would that image, and they are then also useable by you.
>

>> instead of creating\burning it at the time? (I'm thinking that a
>> collection of iso files would be easier to store and work from than a
>> collection of individual audio tracks.)
>
> Not at all sure why you would feel that.

Not quite the same thing as being able to issue one command and get
another duplicate of a pre-organised CDROM. Once created, thats it, so
final-stage products are kinda useful.

--
*=( http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/
*=( For all your UK news needs.