From: John Hasler on
Mike Jones writes:
> I want to generate iso files for later burning, not keep a collection
> "live" on disk. The iso files themselves are the end product, not the
> audio tracks themselves. Once the iso is created, the tracks get
> deleted.

"ISO" is short for "ISO9660 file system"
(<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iso9660>). It is a file system for
storing data files on CDs. It has nothing in particular to do with
audio CDs
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Book_%28audio_CD_standard%29>).

--
John Hasler
jhasler(a)newsguy.com
From: unruh on
On 2010-01-05, Mike Jones <Not(a)Arizona.Bay> wrote:
> Responding to unruh:
>
>> On 2010-01-05, Mike Jones <Not(a)Arizona.Bay> wrote:
>>> Responding to unruh:

>>> Not quite the same thing as being able to issue one command and get
>>> another duplicate of a pre-organised CDROM. Once created, thats it, so
>>> final-stage products are kinda useful.
>>
>> As I suggested, one way would be to use cdrdao instead and create a .toc
>> file which contains the various tracks you want to burn. Then one
>> command will burn it.
>>
>> cdrdao nameof.toc
>> I believe.
>> I think cdrecord has similar possibility, but I do not happen to know
>> it. I think it may be the cuefile option. Equally you could create a
>> directory
>> mycd
>> and in it put links to the files you want on your cd cd mycd/
>> ln -s path/to/song1.wav track01.wav
>> ln -s path/to/song2.wav track02.wav
>> ...0.
>> ln -s path/to/song19.wav track19.wav
>>
>> cdrecord -pad -dev=4,0,0 mycd/track*.wav That is just one command, and
>> does not take up extra disk space with the disk image.
>>
>> Or you could insert and alias into your bashrc file alias burnmycd
>> 'cdrecord -pod -dev=4,0,0 /path/to/song1.wav /path/to/song2.wav .....
>> /path/to/song19.wav' and thereafter issue the single command burnmycd
>> Put in as many aliases as you like
>> Or put all those aliases into a file called burn and then do
>> source burn
>> burnmycd
>>

> Yes, I got that one, create a "list" and use it as a repeat-this-task
> template. Not quite what I want to to though. I want to generate iso
> files for later burning, not keep a collection "live" on disk. The iso
> files themselves are the end product, not the audio tracks themselves.
> Once the iso is created, the tracks get deleted.

It is not really an iso. It is a raw track. An iso really should refer
to an iso9660 filesystem I would think.

But keeping the files or keeping the raw cd are equivalent as far as
disk useage is concerned. And the former is more useful. Anyway I do not
know how to make a raw audio file that you can use cdrecord to copy to
the disk. It may well be possible.

From: unruh on
On 2010-01-05, John Hasler <jhasler(a)newsguy.com> wrote:
> Mike Jones writes:
>> I want to generate iso files for later burning, not keep a collection
>> "live" on disk. The iso files themselves are the end product, not the
>> audio tracks themselves. Once the iso is created, the tracks get
>> deleted.
>
> "ISO" is short for "ISO9660 file system"
> (<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iso9660>). It is a file system for
> storing data files on CDs. It has nothing in particular to do with
> audio CDs
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Book_%28audio_CD_standard%29>).

What he really means is not an iso, but a large raw file which contains
the disk image of an audio cd, like and .iso is a raw file which is an
image of the data disk. Then he wants to burn that raw audio file to the
disk using cdrecord.

I have no idea if such a thing exists/is possible.

I tend to use cdrdao and gcdmaster and make a .toc file which contains
all of the stuff. that allows me to use parts of the .wav files and even
rearrange parts of the .wav files.

From: jellybean stonerfish on
On Tue, 05 Jan 2010 22:56:49 +0000, Mike Jones wrote:

> Yes, I got that one, create a "list" and use it as a repeat-this-task
> template. Not quite what I want to to though. I want to generate iso
> files for later burning, not keep a collection "live" on disk. The iso
> files themselves are the end product, not the audio tracks themselves.
> Once the iso is created, the tracks get deleted.
>
> Maybe this is such an odd thing to do that nobody has written up a
> method for doing it yet maybe? Seems to me as if it might be a choice
> others might want to make too, but I'm not so sure now. ;)

CD's have music tracks without the file system that a normal iso would have.
You don't need the same tracking information, as you do for data, because
if your reader misses a bit or two, it doesn't matter. Also it isn't as
easy as sticking waves together to make a big file and burning that. The
music is saved in a raw format on a cd, not exactly like a wav that has
header information.

Or so I have been told.

From: John Hasler on
Bill Unruh writes:
> What he really means is not an iso, but a large raw file which
> contains the disk image of an audio cd, like and .iso is a raw file
> which is an image of the data disk.

This is clear, but as long as he continues to confusedly refer to it as
an "iso" he is going to have problems as cdrecord has many options for
dealing with actual ISOs that he will try to use.

> Then he wants to burn that raw audio file to the disk using cdrecord.

He's overthinking the problem. All he needs to do is put all the tracks
in a directory.
--
John Hasler
jhasler(a)newsguy.com