From: unruh on
On 2010-01-05, Mike Jones <Not(a)Arizona.Bay> wrote:
> Responding to unruh:
>
>> On 2010-01-05, Mike Jones <Not(a)Arizona.Bay> wrote:
>>> Responding to unruh:
>>>

>>> [...]
>>>

>>> Ah. That explains things then.
>>>
>>> Next up, how do I create an iso of the AudioCD I want to burn later,
>>
>> iso== iso9660, a filesystem for use on CDs. Ie, Audio CDs are not isos.
>> Now you may be thinking of a raw disk image. I have no idea how to do
>> it, nor do I know why, since the .wav files take up no more room than
>> would that image, and they are then also useable by you.
>>

>>> instead of creating\burning it at the time? (I'm thinking that a
>>> collection of iso files would be easier to store and work from than a
>>> collection of individual audio tracks.)
>>
>> Not at all sure why you would feel that.
>>

> Not quite the same thing as being able to issue one command and get
> another duplicate of a pre-organised CDROM. Once created, thats it, so
> final-stage products are kinda useful.

As I suggested, one way would be to use cdrdao instead and create a .toc
file which contains the various tracks you want to burn. Then one
command will burn it.

cdrdao nameof.toc
I believe.
I think cdrecord has similar possibility, but I do not happen to know
it. I think it may be the cuefile option.
Equally you could create a directory
mycd
and in it put links to the files you want on your cd
cd mycd/
ln -s path/to/song1.wav track01.wav
ln -s path/to/song2.wav track02.wav
....0.
ln -s path/to/song19.wav track19.wav

cdrecord -pad -dev=4,0,0 mycd/track*.wav
That is just one command, and does not take up extra disk space with the
disk image.

Or you could insert and alias into your bashrc file
alias burnmycd 'cdrecord -pod -dev=4,0,0 /path/to/song1.wav /path/to/song2.wav ..... /path/to/song19.wav'
and thereafter issue the single command
burnmycd
Put in as many aliases as you like
Or put all those aliases into a file called burn
and then do
source burn
burnmycd

From: Jasen Betts on
On 2010-01-04, Mike Jones <Not(a)Arizona.Bay> wrote:

> So, how do I introduce that 2352 padding into things using mkisofs, so I
> can generate an iso (that works) to record to disk later?

you can't get there from here
closest you can get is to write mp3 format files to an ISO. some CD
players can play mp3s.

From: Mike Jones on
Responding to unruh:

> On 2010-01-05, Mike Jones <Not(a)Arizona.Bay> wrote:
>> Responding to unruh:

>>> iso== iso9660, a filesystem for use on CDs. Ie, Audio CDs are not
>>> isos. Now you may be thinking of a raw disk image. I have no idea how
>>> to do it, nor do I know why, since the .wav files take up no more room
>>> than would that image, and they are then also useable by you.

>>> Not at all sure why you would feel that.
>>>

>> Not quite the same thing as being able to issue one command and get
>> another duplicate of a pre-organised CDROM. Once created, thats it, so
>> final-stage products are kinda useful.
>
> As I suggested, one way would be to use cdrdao instead and create a .toc
> file which contains the various tracks you want to burn. Then one
> command will burn it.
>
> cdrdao nameof.toc
> I believe.
> I think cdrecord has similar possibility, but I do not happen to know
> it. I think it may be the cuefile option. Equally you could create a
> directory
> mycd
> and in it put links to the files you want on your cd cd mycd/
> ln -s path/to/song1.wav track01.wav
> ln -s path/to/song2.wav track02.wav
> ...0.
> ln -s path/to/song19.wav track19.wav
>
> cdrecord -pad -dev=4,0,0 mycd/track*.wav That is just one command, and
> does not take up extra disk space with the disk image.
>
> Or you could insert and alias into your bashrc file alias burnmycd
> 'cdrecord -pod -dev=4,0,0 /path/to/song1.wav /path/to/song2.wav .....
> /path/to/song19.wav' and thereafter issue the single command burnmycd
> Put in as many aliases as you like
> Or put all those aliases into a file called burn and then do
> source burn
> burnmycd

Yes, I got that one, create a "list" and use it as a repeat-this-task
template. Not quite what I want to to though. I want to generate iso
files for later burning, not keep a collection "live" on disk. The iso
files themselves are the end product, not the audio tracks themselves.
Once the iso is created, the tracks get deleted.

Maybe this is such an odd thing to do that nobody has written up a method
for doing it yet maybe? Seems to me as if it might be a choice others
might want to make too, but I'm not so sure now. ;)

--
*=( http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/
*=( For all your UK news needs.
From: Mike Jones on
Responding to Jasen Betts:

> On 2010-01-04, Mike Jones <Not(a)Arizona.Bay> wrote:
>

>> So, how do I introduce that 2352 padding into things using mkisofs, so
>> I can generate an iso (that works) to record to disk later?
>
> you can't get there from here

I'm rapidly getting that idea. ;\

> closest you can get is to write mp3 format files to an ISO. some CD
> players can play mp3s.

Not quite the end product I wanted, but thanks for the idea.

--
*=( http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/
*=( For all your UK news needs.
From: Grant on
On Tue, 05 Jan 2010 22:56:49 GMT, Mike Jones <Not(a)Arizona.Bay> wrote:

> I want to generate iso
>files for later burning, not keep a collection "live" on disk. The iso
>files themselves are the end product, not the audio tracks themselves.
>Once the iso is created, the tracks get deleted.

Audio CDs do NOT have a filesystem, there's no 'iso' for an audio CD.

>Maybe this is such an odd thing to do that nobody has written up a method
>for doing it yet maybe? Seems to me as if it might be a choice others
>might want to make too, but I'm not so sure now. ;)

Not an odd thing at all, the method is to have a list of .wav files,
you've been told and reject the answer.

RTFM CD audio format vs cdfs.

Grant.
--