From: unruh on
On 2010-01-06, jellybean stonerfish <stonerfish(a)geocities.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 05 Jan 2010 22:56:49 +0000, Mike Jones wrote:
>

>> Yes, I got that one, create a "list" and use it as a repeat-this-task
>> template. Not quite what I want to to though. I want to generate iso
>> files for later burning, not keep a collection "live" on disk. The iso
>> files themselves are the end product, not the audio tracks themselves.
>> Once the iso is created, the tracks get deleted.
>>
>> Maybe this is such an odd thing to do that nobody has written up a
>> method for doing it yet maybe? Seems to me as if it might be a choice
>> others might want to make too, but I'm not so sure now. ;)
>
> CD's have music tracks without the file system that a normal iso would have.
> You don't need the same tracking information, as you do for data, because
> if your reader misses a bit or two, it doesn't matter. Also it isn't as
> easy as sticking waves together to make a big file and burning that. The
> music is saved in a raw format on a cd, not exactly like a wav that has
> header information.
>
> Or so I have been told.

Well, it also has a table of contentswhichis what allows you to skip to
the beginning of the next track, or skip to sub areas within one track.
Ie, it is a filesystem of sorts, but it is not iso. (well there probably
is some iso number for the layout of music on a cd, but it is not the
same as iso9660)

From: Mike Jones on
Responding to John Hasler:

> Bill Unruh writes:
>> What he really means is not an iso, but a large raw file which contains
>> the disk image of an audio cd, like and .iso is a raw file which is an
>> image of the data disk.
>
> This is clear, but as long as he continues to confusedly refer to it as
> an "iso" he is going to have problems as cdrecord has many options for
> dealing with actual ISOs that he will try to use.
>
>> Then he wants to burn that raw audio file to the disk using cdrecord.
>
> He's overthinking the problem. All he needs to do is put all the tracks
> in a directory.

Thats just what I don't want to do. I want, by the look of it, a "raw
disk image" backed up so I can spawn new disks as required, but I don't
want a collection of "loose" tracks.

I'm wondering if I could simply rip a finished CDROM with DD to generate
that single disk image? More reading to do.

--
*=( http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/
*=( For all your UK news needs.
From: Mike Jones on
Responding to Grant:

> On Tue, 05 Jan 2010 22:56:49 GMT, Mike Jones <Not(a)Arizona.Bay> wrote:

>> I want to generate iso
>>files for later burning, not keep a collection "live" on disk. The iso
>>files themselves are the end product, not the audio tracks themselves.
>>Once the iso is created, the tracks get deleted.
>
> Audio CDs do NOT have a filesystem, there's no 'iso' for an audio CD.
>>
>>Maybe this is such an odd thing to do that nobody has written up a
>>method for doing it yet maybe? Seems to me as if it might be a choice
>>others might want to make too, but I'm not so sure now. ;)
>
> Not an odd thing at all, the method is to have a list of .wav files,
> you've been told and reject the answer.
>
> RTFM CD audio format vs cdfs.
>
> Grant.

Thanks for not decending into being patronising there. ;\

--
*=( http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/
*=( For all your UK news needs.
From: Mike Jones on
Responding to unruh:

>> Yes, I got that one, create a "list" and use it as a repeat-this-task
>> template. Not quite what I want to to though. I want to generate iso
>> files for later burning, not keep a collection "live" on disk. The iso
>> files themselves are the end product, not the audio tracks themselves.
>> Once the iso is created, the tracks get deleted.
>
> It is not really an iso. It is a raw track. An iso really should refer
> to an iso9660 filesystem I would think.
>
> But keeping the files or keeping the raw cd are equivalent as far as
> disk useage is concerned. And the former is more useful. Anyway I do not
> know how to make a raw audio file that you can use cdrecord to copy to
> the disk. It may well be possible.

Its looking as if I've set myself a "mission" here. :|

--
*=( http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/
*=( For all your UK news needs.
From: J G Miller on
On Wed, 06 Jan 2010 10:26:15 +0000, Mike Jones wrote:

> Its looking as if I've set myself a "mission" here. :|

Have a look at gcdmaster (gui for cdrdao) at

<http://cdrdao.sourceforge.NET/gcdmaster/index.html>