From: wrongaddress on
Any idea the best way to couple a ferrite loopstick antenna
to a car radio input for AM reception?

I experimeted using a 6 inch loopstick (230uH) and 365pF
parallel tunning cap from antenna input to ground (chassis)
with reasonable results, but I'm wondering what the best
approach is.

The tuning is very broad and I don't get much of a peak
when adjusting the capacitor, but all the local stations
come in.

How should I wind the loopstick for best results?

-Bill

From: Pooh Bear on

wrongaddress(a)att.net wrote:

> Any idea the best way to couple a ferrite loopstick antenna
> to a car radio input for AM reception?

You still listen to AM ! ?

Awesome.

Most poor ppl I know use wire coathangers to replace the car aerial
when the original gets trashed by kids or whoever..

Graham

From: Dave on
wrongaddress(a)att.net wrote:
> Any idea the best way to couple a ferrite loopstick antenna
> to a car radio input for AM reception?
>
> I experimeted using a 6 inch loopstick (230uH) and 365pF
> parallel tunning cap from antenna input to ground (chassis)
> with reasonable results, but I'm wondering what the best
> approach is.
>
> The tuning is very broad and I don't get much of a peak
> when adjusting the capacitor, but all the local stations
> come in.
>
> How should I wind the loopstick for best results?
>
> -Bill

IIRC the normal approach if you wish to make it tuneable is to have a
large winding which is tuned with the cap, and a smaller winding with
less turns, so there is an impedance transformation.

I suspect very much depends on the device used as the front end -
whether it is a high Z fet or a lower impedance device.

It sounds like the Q is low if the tuning is broad, but do you really
want the hassle of returning the capacitor every time?

From: John Woodgate on
I read in sci.electronics.design that wrongaddress(a)att.net wrote (in
<1126672091.043123.283820(a)f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>) about 'Ferrite
bar antenna for car radio?', on Tue, 13 Sep 2005:
>Any idea the best way to couple a ferrite loopstick antenna to a car
>radio input for AM reception?
>
>I experimeted using a 6 inch loopstick (230uH) and 365pF parallel
>tunning cap from antenna input to ground (chassis) with reasonable
>results, but I'm wondering what the best approach is.
>
>The tuning is very broad and I don't get much of a peak when adjusting
>the capacitor, but all the local stations come in.
>
>How should I wind the loopstick for best results?

You need to tap down the coil or wind a secondary winding on the rod.
The car radio antenna input is a lowish impedance, not 50 ohms or
anything like, but much lower than the resonant impedance of your tuned
circuit. But if you tap down too far, you will need to retune the
loopstick for each station.

Experiment with taps or secondary windings. Alternatively, you could put
a larger fixed cap in series with your 365 pF at the earthy end, and
connect across it to the antenna socket. You might try a number of
values from 1000 pF upwards.
From: Robert Scott on
On 13 Sep 2005 21:28:11 -0700, wrongaddress(a)att.net wrote:

>Any idea the best way to couple a ferrite loopstick antenna
>to a car radio input for AM reception?

Why bother with "best", unless you mean "easiest". There is no sense
in trying to improve sensitivity beyond the point where you can hear
the background RF noise. And on the AM band there is a lot of it.
The radio itself is probably already doing as well as it can using
selectivity to limit background noise. So if you connect the
loopstick antenna any way at all that produces enough signal to hear
the background hiss, then that is good enough, and no further overall
improvement can be had by improved impedance matching or tuning. To
check if your connection is adequate, just turn up the volume until
you hear a good deal of hiss, while tuned to a frequency where there
is no local station. Then disconnect the antenna completely. If the
hiss drops to almost nothing, then you have as good an antenna as is
possible. But if the hiss remains the same or drops only a little,
then that hiss is coming from the radio itself, and a better antenna
match could improve things.

-Robert Scott
Ypsilanti, Michigan