From: RST Engineering (jw) on
A lot of years ago (38 to be exact) a wise old "rule of thumb" engineer
taught me a slick way of getting maximum gain out of an opamp without
resorting to very high or very low values of resistors.

As we all know, for an inverting opamp, the gain is given simply by Rf/Ri,
where Rf is the feedback resistor from output to inverting input and Ri is
the resistor between signal and inverting input. The DC level of the output
may be set anywhere you choose by an appropriate bias level on the
noninverting input. For AC amplifiers from a single supply, this is
generally Vcc/2 with capacitive coupling between Ri and the signal.

However, for very large AC gains, either Rf must be rather large or Ri
rather small. Rf being rather large makes the input voltage/current errors
become significant as regards quiescent DC output point and Ri being rather
small requires large capacitors for coupling and loading errors from the
signal source.

So, sez old wily rule-of-thumb, just break Rf into two reasonable sized
equal value resistors equal to Rf/2 and run them in series from output back
to (-) input. And, from the midpoint tap on these two resistors run a
series RC circuit to ground. Bingo, the AC gain improves greatly.

And guess what, it works. How do I calculate the R in the series RC circuit
I asks old wily. The answer comes back "Tweak it until you get the gain you
want." (Assume that C can be made appropriately large to get the
low-frequency gain you want.)

I haven't used that trick in an awfully long time, but I've got an
application that needs it. And, if I want to use Diddle's constant in a
simulation program I can fool around (ahem, heuristically experiment) to get
the gain I need.

However, I can't convince myself that I can mathematically come up with the
resistor value. I have googled the problem and come up short. Anybody got
a pointer to a URL that goes through the math of how this configuration
works? And what I'm doing to my phase margin?

Jim

From: John Woodgate on
I read in sci.electronics.design that "RST Engineering (jw)"
<jim(a)rstengineering.com> wrote (in <11j3cjlkfbcqj6e(a)corp.supernews.com>)
about 'Op Amp Calculations', on Wed, 21 Sep 2005:

>However, I can't convince myself that I can mathematically come up with
>the resistor value. I have googled the problem and come up short.
>Anybody got a pointer to a URL that goes through the math of how this
>configuration works? And what I'm doing to my phase margin?

I believe Win has sort-of proprietary rights on this circuit. But it's
easy if you re-draw it. Why do these things come up in s.e.d. instead of
a.b.s.e?

ASCII art; use Courier font.

_______R4_______
| - |
o----R1--+---|\ |
| \_____ out |
| / | |
o------------|/ R2 |
+ |----'
R3

o--------------------+------ Gnd

You can see then that R2 and R3 just form a potential divider across the
output, allowing R4 and R2 to be much smaller for a given gain:

Gain = (R4/R1) x {(R2 + R3)}/R3, if R4 is very much larger than R3. If
it isn't, replace R4 by R4 + (R2R3/(R2 + R3).

The circuit is highly redundant, which means that you get to choose
highly inappropriate values for all the resistors and then wonder why it
doesn't work, even though the gain calculation works out.(;-)

You can probably avoid that by making R1 something in the 1 k to 10 k
range, but don't take bets. I remember one of my fellow students making
a 'see-saw' [1](what we now call an inverting amplifier) with 1 kohm and
1 Mohm around a 6J5 triode and wondering why the gain wasn't 1000.

[1] I think that's a 'teeter-totter' in US English, but I wonder if the
circuit was called that, or 'see-saw'.
From: Noway2 on
Adding an RC circuit to the feedback path would cause the feedback
impedance to become frequency dependant, which would produce different
gains depending on the frequency. I am having a bit of trouble
understanding how this configuration would increase the gain (Zf / Zi)
as opposed to reducing it (apparently I am not envisioning the circuit
correctly). Wouldn't placing the RC combination in the feedback path
cause the effective Rf (parralllel combination) to be lower, in which
case the gain would go down?

I have seen similar ideas used in common emitter transistor amplifier
circuits, where large AC gain is desired around a DC bias point. In
those cases, the capacitor shunts the AC thereby decreasing the emitter
resistance and increasing the gain (Rc / Re). I don't see how this
works for the op-amp case, though.

From: jmeyer on
On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 12:20:11 -0700, "RST Engineering \(jw\)"
<jim(a)rstengineering.com> wroth:

>A lot of years ago (38 to be exact) a wise old "rule of thumb" engineer
>taught me a slick way of getting maximum gain out of an opamp without
>resorting to very high or very low values of resistors.

From a Burr Brown ap note,
http://focus.ti.com/lit/an/sboa061/sboa061.pdf, ....

? A very high resistance feedback resistor is MUCH better
than a low resistance in a T network. See Figure 5. Although
transimpedance gain (eOUT/iSIGNAL) is equivalent, the T network
will sacrifice performance. The low feedback resistance
will generate higher current noise (iN) and the voltage
divider formed by R1/R2 multiply input offset voltage, drift,
and amplifier voltage noise by the ratio of 1+
R1/R2. In most electrometer amplifiers, these input specifications
are not very good to start with. Multiplying an already
high offset and drift (sometimes as high as 3mV and 50mV/
?C) by use of a T network becomes impractical. By using a
far better amplifier, such as the OPA128, moderate T network
ratios can be accommodated and the resulting multiplied
errors will be far smaller. Although a single very-high
resistance will give better performance, the T network can
overcome such problems as gain adjustment and difficulty in
finding a large value resistor.

Jim "The other one." Meyer

From: John Fields on
On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 21:03:48 +0100, John Woodgate
<jmw(a)jmwa.demon.contraspam.yuk> wrote:

>I read in sci.electronics.design that "RST Engineering (jw)"
><jim(a)rstengineering.com> wrote (in <11j3cjlkfbcqj6e(a)corp.supernews.com>)
>about 'Op Amp Calculations', on Wed, 21 Sep 2005:
>
>>However, I can't convince myself that I can mathematically come up with
>>the resistor value. I have googled the problem and come up short.
>>Anybody got a pointer to a URL that goes through the math of how this
>>configuration works? And what I'm doing to my phase margin?
>
>I believe Win has sort-of proprietary rights on this circuit. But it's
>easy if you re-draw it. Why do these things come up in s.e.d. instead of
>a.b.s.e?
>
>ASCII art; use Courier font.
>
> _______R4_______
> | - |
>o----R1--+---|\ |
> | \_____ out |
> | / | |
>o------------|/ R2 |
> + |----'
> R3
> |
>o--------------------+------ Gnd

---

I believe the circuit he described looks more like this:

Vcc------------+

[R1]

+----------|+\
| | >-----+-->Vout
Vin>------[R3]-------+----|-/ |
| | |
[R2] +-[R4]-+-[R5]-+
| |
GND>-----------+-[C1]--[R6]-+

Where, for DC,

R4 + R5 Vcc R2
Vout = -Vin --------- + ---------
R3 R1 + R2

For AC, however, (assuming Vin and Vout are perfect voltage sources)
we wind up with Vout trying to force the - input of the opamp to
stay at whatever voltage the + input is set to by R1 and R2.

As the frequency of Vin increases, the reactance of C1 will
decrease, diverting some of the signal from the output of the opamp
to ground, with the result that the output voltage will have to rise
in order to keep the voltage on the - input of the opamp the same as
the voltage on the + input.

Looking at R5R6C1 as a lowpass filter with single pole, we have:

Vout

[R5]

+----Vfb

[R6]

[C1]

GND

And,suddenly, it's too close to dinner (Thai beef salad and a nice
white for me and Thai beef salad and a nice red for she) and too
complicated to get into right now.

Ma?ana, talvez...

--
John Fields