From: Henry Kiefer on
Hi all -

After my first thread going from "standard" cheap parts for up to vhf
frequency to a discussion about the usefulness of Spice simulator...... I
try it another time hopefully get attention of frustrated co-readers:

For example the rechtifier diode 1N4007 can be used as a rf switching diode,
for example as rx/tx-switch. This is because it is a pin structure diode.
This type is cheap and you can get it almost everywhere. It shows good
performance for the price. Surely for high-end you should do it with another
type tuned to the application it is made for. But anyway it works in some
circuits.

Do you know of other interesting devices or circuits good for misuse?

Best regards -
Henry

From: Stefan Heimers on
Henry Kiefer wrote:

> Do you know of other interesting devices or circuits good for misuse?

I never tried it myself, but I heard that some people abused opened memory
chips as cameras, back when CCD camera chips were too expensive for
hobbyists.

http://www.classiccmp.org/pipermail/cctalk/2004-May/042581.html

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.robotics.misc/browse_thread/thread/652cc4b0e1ccee57/f84b0f2d5c0b6da7?lnk=st&q=opened+RAM+chips+used+as+camera&rnum=6#f84b0f2d5c0b6da7

From: R.Freitag on
Henry Kiefer wrote:
[...]
> Do you know of other interesting devices or circuits good for misuse?

Take away the hat of a 2N3055 and use it as a light sensor (sensitive).

Robert

--
'Vom Standpunkt eines Beamtenrechtlers aus betrachtet ist der Tod die
sch?rfstwirkenste aller bekannten, langfristig wirkenden Formen der
From: Jorgen Lund-Nielsen on
Henry Kiefer wrote:
> Hi all -
>
> After my first thread going from "standard" cheap parts for up to vhf
> frequency to a discussion about the usefulness of Spice simulator...... I
> try it another time hopefully get attention of frustrated co-readers:
>
> For example the rechtifier diode 1N4007 can be used as a rf switching diode,
> for example as rx/tx-switch. This is because it is a pin structure diode.
> This type is cheap and you can get it almost everywhere. It shows good
> performance for the price. Surely for high-end you should do it with another
> type tuned to the application it is made for. But anyway it works in some
> circuits.
>
> Do you know of other interesting devices or circuits good for misuse?
>
> Best regards -
> Henry

Tuner Switching Diodes like the european BA244 (NOT PIN-Diodes!) work
well as medium fast Step Recovery Diodes.

Jorgen
From: John Larkin on
On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 09:40:27 +0100, "Henry Kiefer"
<otc_friend(a)gmx.net> wrote:

>Hi all -
>
>After my first thread going from "standard" cheap parts for up to vhf
>frequency to a discussion about the usefulness of Spice simulator...... I
>try it another time hopefully get attention of frustrated co-readers:
>
>For example the rechtifier diode 1N4007 can be used as a rf switching diode,
>for example as rx/tx-switch. This is because it is a pin structure diode.
>This type is cheap and you can get it almost everywhere. It shows good
>performance for the price. Surely for high-end you should do it with another
>type tuned to the application it is made for. But anyway it works in some
>circuits.
>
>Do you know of other interesting devices or circuits good for misuse?
>
>Best regards -
>Henry

A 1N4007 can also be used as a drift step-recovery diode and as a
plasma avalanche diode. Together, two can generate a kilovolt edge
with a 100 ps risetime.

GAASfets make good fast analog switches; they behave pretty much like
jfets.

Wide-open LDO regulators make nice resettable fuses.

Ferrite beads do all sorts of interesting stuff.

Power mosfets make good heaters, and TO-220 bipolar transistors make
nice temperature sensors.

LVDS line receivers are surprisingly good comparators, and *fast*

I could go on...

John

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11