From: David on
I've read that when using access fields that:

rstOrders.Fields("fldCustomer")

is faster than

!fldCustomer

=================
Question

Is this true, and if so why?

Thanks
David

From: Stefan Hoffmann on
hi David,

On 19.04.2010 15:16, David wrote:
> I've read that when using access fields that:
> rstOrders.Fields("fldCustomer")
> is faster than
> !fldCustomer
>
> Is this true, and if so why?
Go and search for 'dot vs bang'...

It's basically caused by the fact that the bang'ed access must be
resolved at runtime and this is a little bit more complex than
enumerating a collection and returning a value.

mfG
--> stefan <--
From: David on
Thanks Mr. Hoffmann for responding.

Are you saying "bang" is late-bound versus Field early-bound.
If so, do you know any article or MSDN reference that refers to this --
or -- the best way to test it?

David

From: Stefan Hoffmann on
hi David,

On 19.04.2010 15:47, David wrote:
> Are you saying "bang" is late-bound versus Field early-bound.
> If so, do you know any article or MSDN reference that refers to this --
> or -- the best way to test it?
Take a closer look at

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa210660%28v=office.11%29.aspx

seems that I've also mixed it up.

mfG
--> stefan <--
From: David on
Thanks for link. Been searching MSDN without any luck.

Using Me.("Customer") logically makes sense that it would be slower since a
string needs to be allocated versus referring to the field name directly.

Unfortuantely they did not specifically address the Fields collection.
Whether the logic prevails is a ?