From: Lavert on
Can files created in Microsoft Word be converted to Microsoft Works Ver 8
files? Thanks in advance.

--
Lavert Y Bryant
Powder Springs GA

From: Wesley Vogel on
Using Word to open *.wps files.

From MS Word 2002 Help:

[[Obtain file format converters
The most commonly used converters are installed with Microsoft Word by
default. If you want to open or save in a format that's not installed by
default, you may need to obtain additional converters.

Note You can open documents created in Microsoft Word 2000, 97, 95, 6.0,
or 2.0 directly in Microsoft Word 2002. All data and formatting created in
these versions of Word are fully supported in Word 2002.

Converters supplied with Word:
Opening or saving in Word:
Microsoft Works 4.0 for Windows
Opens and saves Works 4.0 files.
Microsoft Works 2000 for Windows
Opens and saves Works 2000 files.

Convert a single file from another file format
1. On the File menu, click Open.
2. Locate the file you want to open, and then click Open.

Convert several documents at once
1. Place the documents you want to convert in a single folder.
2. On the File menu, click New.
3. In the New Document task pane, under New from template, click General
templates.
4. Click the Other Documents tab.
5. Double-click Batch Conversion Wizard.
6. Follow the directions on the screen.]]
-----

Works 6.0 Converter for Works and Word Users
The Works 6.0 Converter allows you to convert word processor documents
created in Microsoft Works 6.0 to Microsoft Word and other Works programs.
Specifically, this converter works with Works 2000, 4.5, and 4.x, and Word
2002, 2000, and 97 on machines running Microsoft Windowsý 98, 2000
Professional, Millennium Edition, and XP.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=b9e11e83-f51b-4977-b572-8c042df802c1&displaylang=en

Works 2000 Converter for Word 97/2000 Users
The Works 2000 converter allows you to open a Works 2000 .wps file in Word
and to save a Word document as a Works 2000 .wps file.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=32e7205a-3880-4416-9260-57a96c8a9a76&DisplayLang=en

Works Converter for Import/Export of Works Word Processor (.wps) Documents
(Wp2krtf.exe) Text Converter for Works 4.x

In order to open a word processor document (.wps) created in Microsoft Works
4.x in Microsoft Works 2000, Microsoft Word 2000, or Microsoft Word 97, or a
word processor document created in Works 2000, Word 2000, or Word 97 in
Microsoft Works 4.x, you need to download and install the Wp2krtf.exe text
converter.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9b16eb3c-6df6-4545-89ff-05c627fba36b&DisplayLang=en

-----

Open Microsoft Works files in Excel
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HA010448771033.aspx

-----

Word Viewer 2003 lets you open Word 2003 documents and documents created
with all previous versions of Microsoft Word for Windowsý and Microsoft Word
for Macintosh. In addition to Word document files (.doc), you can also open
files saved in the following formats:

Works 6.0 (.wps)
Works 7.0 (.wps)

Word Viewer 2003
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=95E24C87-8732-48D5-8689-AB826E7B8FDF&displaylang=en

Download details: Excel Viewer 2003
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=c8378bf4-996c-4569-b547-75edbd03aaf0&DisplayLang=en

-----

"You can't import a Microsoft Works database (.wdb) directly into Microsoft
Access. You must first use Microsoft Works to save the file to one of the
file formats that Microsoft Access can import.

Open the database by using Microsoft Works.
On the File menu, click Save as.
In the Save as type box, select dBASE IV (*.dbf), and then click OK.
Import the dBASE IV .dbf file that you created in step 3 into Microsoft
Access."

Description of the text converters that are available with Word 2002
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;291481

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:oBsMe.19181$Rm3.5098(a)bignews4.bellsouth.net,
Lavert <b_lavert(a)bellsouth.net> hunted and pecked:

From: Lavert on
Wes:

Thanks for your reply. This looks to be what I need. Will try and let you
know when I can.
--
Lavert Y Bryant
Powder Springs GA