From: Me2Ewe on
I need someone's unbiased opinion.

My computer is running slower and acting up sometimes. I have done all the
cleaning and tweaking I can.

My drive is just about full which can be a little problem. I wanted to check
my BIOS homepage to see if there is an update. The homepage sent me to
somewhere called support and they emailed me & phoned me [how they got
number is beyond me]. They said they had an update that I needed or my
machine would not run properly, this is part of their email: "ESupport.com
is the Exclusive Authorized Upgrade and Support Center for Award BIOS. For
the past 16 years, we have constantly upgraded thousands of motherboards and
developed new BIOS upgrades for all the latest technology. Based on the
technical specifications you had submitted, we have an excellent BIOS
Upgrade for your system. We have the brand new Award BIOS for your
motherboard. The price is only $29.95."

This is the info that I gave them:

BIOS ID String:----- 06/08/2004-KM266PRO-8235-6A6LYB09C

OEM Signon:-------- VIG0608 BF 400

Chipset:-------------- VIA 82C3205 REV 0

Super I/O:------------ ITE 8705/SIS 950 REV 2 FOUND AT PORT 2EH

I just wonder how badly I do need it and why do I pay I thought upgrades
were free, maybe I was too naive there ..the free part that is

Thanks for any input

From: Carey Frisch [MVP] on
A BIOS upgrade will not necessarily enhance the performance
of your computer. You need to perform some routine maintenance
and forget about upgrading the BIOS.

Utilize the following recommended regime:

http://support.microsoft.com/?ýid=827315

Download Ad-aware SE and scan your PC for the presence of spýyware:

Symantec Security Check
http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/default.asp?langid=ie&venid=sym&plfid=23&pkj=YVXRORVWHFHMFNZMBBX

Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=321cd7a2-6a57-4c57-a8bd-dbf62eda9671&displaylang=en

Antivirus software: Frequently asked questions
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/antivirus.mspx

Utilize the following maintenance programs, at least monthly,
to maintain the optimum performance of Windows XP:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310312&Product=winxp

How to Perform Disk Error Checking in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315265&Product=winxp

HOW TO: Analyze and Defragment a Disk in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305781&Product=winxp

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

From: Mike Hall (MS-MVP) on
Me2

<quote>.. My drive is just about full which can be a little problem..
<endquote>

It can be more than a little problem.. it will affect a system's ability to
defragment properly, and will also affect Windows Virtual Memory.. the
system may crash out occasionally, which will cause problems with system
files.. it will definitely be a factor in your system running slow..

Re. cleaning, you should be using Disk Clean (already in Windows) and also
Spybot S&D, Adaware SE, and Spyware Blaster at the very least, and regularly
updated and run (every week, maybe)..

A handy site to help you is http://www.pcpitstop.com .. run your computer
through the tests, and it produces a report on system health and gives
upgrade and tweaking tips.. however, be wary of downloading or trying out
other utilities that are advertised on the site.. personally, I would and do
leave them all alone, barring the tests..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

From: Jim on

"Me2Ewe" <blaray(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>I need someone's unbiased opinion.
>
> My computer is running slower and acting up sometimes. I have done all the
> cleaning and tweaking I can.
>
> My drive is just about full which can be a little problem. I wanted to
> check my BIOS homepage to see if there is an update.
First, why do you believe that patching the BIOS has anything to do with
your disk being full? You need a very sound reason to patch the BIOS
because, if you make a mistake, your motherboard is toast.
Perhaps in addition to the other posts, you need a bigger drive.
By the way, most motherboard makers give away upgrades.
Jim

From: Me2Ewe on
Wow you guys are fast at the replying mode.
When I said a little problem I meant that on a 20 GB partition I have 2,3
free space left. That's all. As for the rest I do the basics every 2 or 3
days since I am on it most of the day. I check for spyware, viruses worms
etc.
By Disc Clean do you mean Disc Cleanup utility if so I run that before
defragmenting at least weekly or sooner if deleting or moving files.
Maybe it is too full that would explain why it is freezing for no reason or
rebooting once in a while. I get a few 16-bit error messages which you kind
folks helped me fix.
So the general advice from both of you is to forget paying for an upgrade. I
always thought you did an upgrade if changing CPUs or something major.

Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: File Converter
Next: Macromedia Flash