From: Carey Frisch [MVP] on
I recently purchased and installed a new Maxtor 250GB hard drive
with a 16MB buffer. You would be amazed how fast it is!

Maxtor DiamondMax 10 6L250R0 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache
IDE Ultra ATA133 Hard Drive - OEM
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16822144422

You can transfer the entire contents of your old hard drive to the
new one using Maxtor's MaxBlast utility.
http://www.maxtor.com/portal/site/Maxtor/menuitem.3c67e325e0a6b1f6294198b091346068/?channelpath=%2Fen_us%2FSupport%2FSoftware%20Downloads%2FATA%20Hard%20Drives&downloadID=57

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

From: Mike Hall (MS-MVP) on
Me2

For sure forget the BIOS upgrade.. a waste of money from that source.. BIOS
updates are produced by a mainboard manufacturer to patch problems that have
been found, and also to address issues like hard drive size handling etc..
they are not the panacea for all ills by a large margin, and execution can
lead to one's system being executed.. definitely best left alone..

Re. free space.. Windows Defrag needs 15% or thereabouts to function, and it
may seem wasteful, but 25% keeps Windows happier.. you have a little over
10% left, which is not really enough..

You might also consider upping RAM to 512mb if you haven't already.. others
will tell you that 256mb is enough, but it isn't if you want a decent
computing experience.. Windows XP feels the same way as I do about it.. :-)

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

From: Carey Frisch [MVP] on
Maxtor Ultra16 250GB, 7200RPM, Internal ATA/133 Hard Drive - Retail
http://www.compusa.com/adproducts/product_info.asp?product_code=316138&pfp=ADPRODUCTS

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

From: ~ FreeSpirit ~ on

"Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail(a)sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> Me2
>
> <quote>.. My drive is just about full which can be a little problem..
> <endquote>
>
> It can be more than a little problem.. it will affect a system's ability
> to defragment properly, and will also affect Windows Virtual Memory.. the
> system may crash out occasionally, which will cause problems with system
> files.. it will definitely be a factor in your system running slow..
>
> Re. cleaning, you should be using Disk Clean (already in Windows) and also
> Spybot S&D, Adaware SE, and Spyware Blaster at the very least, and
> regularly updated and run (every week, maybe)..
>
> A handy site to help you is http://www.pcpitstop.com .. run your computer
> through the tests, and it produces a report on system health and gives
> upgrade and tweaking tips.. however, be wary of downloading or trying out
> other utilities that are advertised on the site.. personally, I would and
> do leave them all alone, barring the tests..
================================
It doesn't work if you have SP2 on your PC as I do. Even following the
instructions SP2 still blocks any downloads.
FROM THE SITE: NOTE: If you are using Windows XP Service Pack 2, look at the
top of this page and see if the yellow Information Bar is displaying a
message about PC Pitstop. If so, click the Information Bar and select
"Install ActiveX Control".

## SP2 gives me NO CHOICE to install the ActiveX thing. Even when I change
it in Tools/Options/Security. How do I shut off SP2 or STOP this SP2
problem rather than do a complete reinstall of my OS?

We were unable to install the PC Pitstop utility. Here are the most common
causes and solutions to the problem. For more information, see our
troubleshooting page or ask for help on our forums (free; separate
registration required).

## How is Sp2 disabled so I can download updates etc?

FS~

From: DL on
If you cannot install Active X controls, its likely a setting in your IE
SP2 does not prevent the installing of an active x control

Try setting all the IE options to default
Clear the IE temp files and clear your PC temp files - Diskcleanup - and
retry

"~ FreeSpirit ~" <spammenot(a)nospam.net> wrote in message

> "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail(a)sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> > Me2
> >
> > <quote>.. My drive is just about full which can be a little problem..
> > <endquote>
> >
> > It can be more than a little problem.. it will affect a system's ability
> > to defragment properly, and will also affect Windows Virtual Memory..
the
> > system may crash out occasionally, which will cause problems with system
> > files.. it will definitely be a factor in your system running slow..
> >
> > Re. cleaning, you should be using Disk Clean (already in Windows) and
also
> > Spybot S&D, Adaware SE, and Spyware Blaster at the very least, and
> > regularly updated and run (every week, maybe)..
> >
> > A handy site to help you is http://www.pcpitstop.com .. run your
computer
> > through the tests, and it produces a report on system health and gives
> > upgrade and tweaking tips.. however, be wary of downloading or trying
out
> > other utilities that are advertised on the site.. personally, I would
and
> > do leave them all alone, barring the tests..
> ================================
> It doesn't work if you have SP2 on your PC as I do. Even following the
> instructions SP2 still blocks any downloads.
> FROM THE SITE: NOTE: If you are using Windows XP Service Pack 2, look at
the
> top of this page and see if the yellow Information Bar is displaying a
> message about PC Pitstop. If so, click the Information Bar and select
> "Install ActiveX Control".
>
> ## SP2 gives me NO CHOICE to install the ActiveX thing. Even when I
change
> it in Tools/Options/Security. How do I shut off SP2 or STOP this SP2
> problem rather than do a complete reinstall of my OS?
>
> We were unable to install the PC Pitstop utility. Here are the most common
> causes and solutions to the problem. For more information, see our
> troubleshooting page or ask for help on our forums (free; separate
> registration required).
>
> ## How is Sp2 disabled so I can download updates etc?
>
> FS~

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: File Converter