From: Mike Hall (MS-MVP) on
Free

SP2 does not stop a computer user from accessing PC Pitstop.. SP2 does not
stop a computer user from accessing Windows Update.. computer users
sometimes make changes that may prevent access.. computer users may shut
down processes and services based upon the erroneous advice of others that
will prevent access.. computer users will become paranoiac about popups and
make changes that will prevent access..

Install Google Toolbar and LEARN about the restrictions of having popups
blocked on every web page.. the active X bar is a popup, and if you have all
popups blocked by IE6 and other toolbars, then of course you won't see the
yellow bar that SP2 is telling you about..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

From: Ken Blake on
Me2Ewe wrote:

> I need someone's unbiased opinion.
>
> My computer is running slower and acting up sometimes. I have done
> all the cleaning and tweaking I can.
>
> My drive is just about full which can be a little problem. I wanted
> to check my BIOS homepage to see if there is an update.

It is *highly* unlikely that the BIOS has anything to do with your problem.
Do a BIOS upgrade if you need to--because you are having a problem that the
new version is known to fix--not just because one is available, or with the
hope of some undefined "improvement.".

Although a BIOS upgrade normally goes well, it is not without danger. If
something goes wrong while the upgrade is an progress (for example, a lapse
in power) you can be left with no BIOS at all, and an unbootable computer.
Do a BIOS upgrade if you need to--because you are having a problem that the
new version is known to fix--not just because one is available.

--
Ken Blake
Please Reply to the Newsgroup

From: ~ FreeSpirit ~ on

"DL" <dl(a)spoofmail> wrote in message
> If you cannot install Active X controls, its likely a setting in your IE
> SP2 does not prevent the installing of an active x control
>
> Try setting all the IE options to default
> Clear the IE temp files and clear your PC temp files - Diskcleanup - and
> retry
================================
I already did all that last night. Now I get this (see below) on the MS
update page. I tried to allow MS to use a tool to see if I have a worm on
my PC but SP2 does NOT EVEN ALLOW THAT!!!!! I get the Active-X thing but no
choice to allow it Active-X to work or not! How do I disable SP2 long
enough for MS to scan my PC for this worm?

FS~

The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are
trying to view. The options provided below might help you solve the problem.
For self-help options:
Frequently Asked Questions

Find Solutions

Windows Update Newsgroup
For assisted support options:
Microsoft Online Assisted Support (no-cost for Windows Update issues)

Read more about steps you can take to resolve this problem yourself.

From: ~ FreeSpirit ~ on

> Free
>
> SP2 does not stop a computer user from accessing PC Pitstop.. SP2 does not
> stop a computer user from accessing Windows Update..

## "SP2 has a bar across the top of I.E saying "Your security Settings do
not allow websites to use Active-X controls stored on your computer. The
page may not display correctly. Click here for options." The options opens
a helpfile thing and if I change the settings in Security it doesn't work.
I still can't download updates or allow MS to scan my PC for the Zotob worm.
What do I do?

computer users
> sometimes make changes that may prevent access.. computer users may shut
> down processes and services based upon the erroneous advice of others that
> will prevent access.. computer users will become paranoiac about popups
> and make changes that will prevent access..

## What changes? I'm not the type to poke around my PC turning things on
and off. What needs to be ON to allow these updates and stop the Security
bar from coming up with this warning constantly?

> Install Google Toolbar and LEARN about the restrictions of having popups
> blocked on every web page.. the active X bar is a popup, and if you have
> all popups blocked by IE6 and other toolbars, then of course you won't see
> the yellow bar that SP2 is telling you about..

## OK, I shut off the POP-UP blocker in my Google Bar and it made no
difference. The MS scanner can't scan my PC for this Zotab worm - what now?
I still get, "Your security Settings do not allow websites to use Active-X
controls stored on your computer. The page may not display correctly. Click
here for options." How do I disable SP2 long enough to allow the MS site
to scan my PC?

FS~

From: ~ FreeSpirit ~ on

"Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail(a)sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> Free
>
> SP2 does not stop a computer user from accessing PC Pitstop.. SP2 does not
> stop a computer user from accessing Windows Update.. computer users
> sometimes make changes that may prevent access.. computer users may shut
> down processes and services based upon the erroneous advice of others that
> will prevent access.. computer users will become paranoiac about popups
> and make changes that will prevent access..
>
> Install Google Toolbar and LEARN about the restrictions of having popups
> blocked on every web page.. the active X bar is a popup, and if you have
> all popups blocked by IE6 and other toolbars, then of course you won't see
> the yellow bar that SP2 is telling you about..
============================
I just down loaded the tool from MS and ran it - no Zotob worm was found. I
still can't get critical updates.... I can't get the SP2 Security thing to
work/Active-X.........! I don't even know where to
start................AAARRGGGGHHHHH!!!!! :-O I'm about to rip my hair

FS~

First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: File Converter