From: rodney on
Links etc?

I have taken possession of a new XP machine
and things seem a little different from my last XP
that crashed and burned.

I am trying to organise my file hierarchy with something like
500,000 images in say 1000 folders.

I have them in My Documents, but oft times windows explorer
ends up in a mirror folder tree under C:\ drive
It feels awkward and troubling,
any ideas how to set up a stable file tree in xp please?
Should I move these files to the root drive C:\ only?
Thanks very much in advance.

From: Shenan Stanley on
rodney wrote:
> Links etc?
>
> I have taken possession of a new XP machine
> and things seem a little different from my last XP
> that crashed and burned.
>
> I am trying to organise my file hierarchy with something like
> 500,000 images in say 1000 folders.
>
> I have them in My Documents, but oft times windows explorer
> ends up in a mirror folder tree under C:\ drive
> It feels awkward and troubling,
> any ideas how to set up a stable file tree in xp please?
> Should I move these files to the root drive C:\ only?
> Thanks very much in advance.

First - if by 'taken possession' - you mean this is a used machine - format
it and install everything clean. Leave no doubt it is truly your machine.

Your "My Documents" true path can be found by this command in Windows XP:

Start button --> RUN --> type in:
cmd /k echo %USERPROFILE%
--> Click OK.

Whatever that echos back, add "\My Documents" to the end and that is the
actual path of your my documents. Or you could do this:

Start button --> RUN --> type in:
explorer "%USERPROFILE%\My Documents"
--> Click OK.
(Quotation marks and all.)

The "Desktop" folder is similar. "Start Menu" also. Your Internet Explorer
"Favorites" as well.

What you need to be concerned with - really - is the complete path/filename
length. You would be better served (for multiple reasons, including
backups) to get another hard drive (internal) and store the files in the
root of that drive (starting your hierarchy there.)

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

From: rodney on

Thank you very much Mr. Stanley,
It is a brand new machine, built to a price parameter ($1000)
and I wanted to stay with the XP. OS.

Rats! I had not considered a dual internal drive, I'll ring the tech
and get a price to fit a small, say 160Gb drive.

I assume you would suggest making backups from the 2nd int drive to the OS
drive.
I usually make "copy" backups once a month, I am happy with that risk,
and only add about 4000 images per month.
The total image file count is around 35Gb.
Cheers

From: rodney on
It lies at

C:\Documents and Settings\Auguste\My Documents.

From: Shenan Stanley on
rodney wrote:
<snip>
> I assume you would suggest making backups from the 2nd int drive to
> the OS drive.
<snip>

No. Internal backups are all but worthless for most scenarios where you
would need the backups in my experience. Backups should be external and
available to other computers without taking anything apart.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP