From: Martin Gregorie on
On Tue, 15 Dec 2009 15:49:52 +0000, Alan Secker wrote:

> File permissions were an unlikely suspect as everyone but me had
> complete access.

Sorry, I wasn't clear about those points. When I mentioned access
permissions and file location I was referring to the password file.

I wondered if unusual values there had caused an update to fail or the
updated copy had gotten lost (e.g if it had somehow been configured onto
a ramdisk or into /tmp).

Still, I'm pleased that something has caused the problem to go away.

One last thought - could the file update have been lost by a permanent or
intermittent disk error? If you're running smartd, does the SMART disk
report show anything interesting?

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
From: herman.viaene on
Alan Secker wrote:

> For several days I have been experiencing difficulties in connecting to my
> firm's file-server. This is a six work-station LAN using samba to access
> common files.
>
> Shortly after replacing my work-station with a newer machine the problems
> began.
>
> Today I decided to cold-boot the file server and log the results. This is
> what happened:
>
> 1) Rebooted server.
> 2) Powered up work-stations. None could 'see' the server.
> 3) Executed samba restart on the server
> 4) All users could now ping the server
> 5) Everyone except me could now 'see' and access common files on the
> server
> via smb4k.
> 6) As I have had to do every morning for the last four working days, on
> the
> file server, I ran smbpasswd and re-entered my samba username and
> password.
> 7) Checked again via smb4k and could now access the server's files.

A guess: your samba synchronizes with its host for the users, and your
workstation user either does nor exist on the server, or it does exist with
a different password?

Herman Viaene

--
Veel mensen danken hun goed geweten aan hun slecht geheugen. (G. Bomans)

Lots of people owe their good conscience to their bad memory (G. Bomans)

From: Alan Secker on
herman.viaene(a)invalid.be wrote:

> Alan Secker wrote:
>
>> For several days I have been experiencing difficulties in connecting to
>> my firm's file-server. This is a six work-station LAN using samba to
>> access common files.
>>
>> Shortly after replacing my work-station with a newer machine the problems
>> began.
>>
>> Today I decided to cold-boot the file server and log the results. This is
>> what happened:
>>
>> 1) Rebooted server.
>> 2) Powered up work-stations. None could 'see' the server.
>> 3) Executed samba restart on the server
>> 4) All users could now ping the server
>> 5) Everyone except me could now 'see' and access common files on the
>> server
>> via smb4k.
>> 6) As I have had to do every morning for the last four working days, on
>> the
>> file server, I ran smbpasswd and re-entered my samba username and
>> password.
>> 7) Checked again via smb4k and could now access the server's files.
>
> A guess: your samba synchronizes with its host for the users, and your
> workstation user either does nor exist on the server, or it does exist
> with a different password?
>
> Herman Viaene

I don't think so.It has been on the file server for three years and I have
not changed passwords during that time.

Regards, Alan

From: Alan Secker on
Geoffrey Clements wrote:

> "Alan Secker" <alan(a)asandco.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Well, the log files didn't reveal anything suspect.
>> testparm was happy.
>> Restarting samba did not cause the same problems as rebooting.
>> File permissions were an unlikely suspect as everyone but me had complete
>> access. I checked my $HOME anyway.It was OK.
>> Neither SELiniux or appArmor had been deployed
>> smb.conf is at /etc/samba
>>
>> BUT, the server's clock was an hour out!
>
> One hour - that seems suspicious. Some questions come to mind: Is the
> server's clock on UTC or localtime? What time zone is the server set to?
>
> It's worth checking this or you might have the same problem again (in
> March maybe).

Good point but both are identical. Regards, Alan

This afternoon (I was out this morning), my system came up and I went
straight to VirtualBox and Windows XP. The server files were inaccessible.
Clicked back to Linux. Ran through smb4k. No problem. Back to XP, now OK.
Head scratching stuff.

From: Alan Secker on
Martin Gregorie wrote:

> On Tue, 15 Dec 2009 15:49:52 +0000, Alan Secker wrote:
>
>> File permissions were an unlikely suspect as everyone but me had
>> complete access.
>>
> Sorry, I wasn't clear about those points. When I mentioned access
> permissions and file location I was referring to the password file.
>
> I wondered if unusual values there had caused an update to fail or the
> updated copy had gotten lost (e.g if it had somehow been configured onto
> a ramdisk or into /tmp).
>
> Still, I'm pleased that something has caused the problem to go away.
>
> One last thought - could the file update have been lost by a permanent or
> intermittent disk error? If you're running smartd, does the SMART disk
> report show anything interesting?

I've got one problem to solve on the machine that is going to replace this
one so I'm going to see how that progresses before checking the drive but I
think you may be right.

Regards, Alan

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3