From: Ron Hardin on
It appears that remote file reads on successive machines
work okay if no files have been read recently, but start
failing (requiring waiting and retrying) if there's been
recent activity.

XP Home (so there's a 5 file open limit, or something like
that).

Everything behaves as if the connection stays up longer
the more recently you've accessed a particular machine,
thus worsening the problem.

Is there a "disconnect quickly" parameter somewhere that I can
set to a short time, rather than its being adaptive as it
appears to be?
--
rhhardin(a)mindspring.com

From: John Wunderlich on
Ron Hardin <rhhardin(a)mindspring.com> wrote in

> It appears that remote file reads on successive machines
> work okay if no files have been read recently, but start
> failing (requiring waiting and retrying) if there's been
> recent activity.
>
> XP Home (so there's a 5 file open limit, or something like
> that).
>
> Everything behaves as if the connection stays up longer
> the more recently you've accessed a particular machine,
> thus worsening the problem.
>
> Is there a "disconnect quickly" parameter somewhere that I can
> set to a short time, rather than its being adaptive as it
> appears to be?

You can set the "Autodisconnect" time yourself if you want.
Instructions are here:

"Inbound connections limit in Windows XP"
<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314882>

HTH,
John