From: lofi on
I have not scanned film in a while but I found some twenty five year old
Kodacolor negatives in good shape.
These were made on high end Nikon and Minolta SLR cameras and lenses back
in the day.
I was quickly reminded why I am never even slightly tempted to run any film
through those still functional cameras.
Except maybe the Leica.

If my index finger ever stops throbbing from pain after clicking the mouse
button to remove dust and scratches ten thousand times I may write more.
A round of Motrin for the house . . .

From: Remmy Martin on
On Thu, 15 Jul 2010 15:22:22 -0700, "lofi" <fac_187(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

>I have not scanned film in a while but I found some twenty five year old
>Kodacolor negatives in good shape.
>These were made on high end Nikon and Minolta SLR cameras and lenses back
>in the day.
>I was quickly reminded why I am never even slightly tempted to run any film
>through those still functional cameras.
>Except maybe the Leica.
>
>If my index finger ever stops throbbing from pain after clicking the mouse
>button to remove dust and scratches ten thousand times I may write more.
>A round of Motrin for the house . . .

Next time try the "Remove Dust/Scratches" filter in PhotoLine. Under menu
Filters > Quality. Set a toolbar button for it if you find the need to use
it often. It's been the most effective filter I've ever found for this type
of work. I've often used it when trying to restore old photographs. Uncanny
in how well it works. I tried many other tools in a dozen or more other
editing programs and stand-alone utilities for this purpose and this one
wins hands-down.

From: Rich on
On Jul 15, 6:22 pm, "lofi" <fac_...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> I have not scanned film in a while but I found some twenty five year old
> Kodacolor negatives in good shape.
> These were made on high end Nikon and Minolta SLR  cameras and lenses back
> in the day.
> I was quickly reminded why I am never even slightly tempted to run any film
> through those still functional cameras.
> Except maybe the Leica.
>
> If my index finger ever stops throbbing from pain after clicking the mouse
> button to remove dust and scratches ten thousand times I may write more.
> A round of Motrin for the house . . .
>
> --- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: n...(a)netfront.net ---

You can clean film, you can also buy wet-scanning holders for film.
But you are right, film dust is massively worse than digital sensor
dust.