From: Steve Pope on
Pete Fraser wrote:

> I'd rather not deal with Butterworth's phase issues.

A good thing to remember is that any filter that is as
selective as a given Butterworth filter will have a
similar RMS delay spread as the Butterworth filter.
So no free lunch on phase issues in many cases.

Steve
From: Pete Fraser on
"Steve Pope" <spope33(a)speedymail.org> wrote in message

> A good thing to remember is that any filter that is as
> selective as a given Butterworth filter will have a
> similar RMS delay spread as the Butterworth filter.
> So no free lunch on phase issues in many cases.

But I'm doing a symmetric FIR with the Butterworth
amplitude response.

From: Steve Pope on
Pete Fraser <pfraser(a)covad.net> wrote:

>"Steve Pope" <spope33(a)speedymail.org> wrote in message

>> A good thing to remember is that any filter that is as
>> selective as a given Butterworth filter will have a
>> similar RMS delay spread as the Butterworth filter.
>> So no free lunch on phase issues in many cases.

>But I'm doing a symmetric FIR with the Butterworth
>amplitude response.

Linear phase is overrated. :-)

S.
From: robert bristow-johnson on
On Jul 2, 4:42 pm, spop...(a)speedymail.org (Steve Pope) wrote:
> Pete Fraser <pfra...(a)covad.net> wrote:
> >"Steve Pope" <spop...(a)speedymail.org> wrote in message
> >> A good thing to remember is that any filter that is as
> >> selective as a given Butterworth filter will have a
> >> similar RMS delay spread as the Butterworth filter.
> >> So no free lunch on phase issues in many cases.
> >But I'm doing a symmetric FIR with the Butterworth
> >amplitude response.

so then you'll get even *more* phase shift delay. (Butterworths are
minimum phase and linear phase is not minimum phase unless it's a wire
or a simple gain.)

> Linear phase is overrated.  :-)

yeah, and what Steve said.

r b-j
From: robert bristow-johnson on
On Jul 1, 10:59 am, Fred Marshall <fmarshallx(a)remove_the_xacm.org>
wrote:

> r b-j,
>
> Well, maybe I've had it wrong all these years but I'd say that the
> windowing method starts with N frequency samples where N is the length
> of the filter you want.

so then, since the DFT and iDFT are bijective (i love using fancy-
pants words), why window? if h[n] has N samples and N degrees of
freedom, so does H[k]. you specify your N frequency samples and you
can hit it perfectly with no windowing.

so, that seems curious to me.

r b-j