From: Pete Fraser on
Steve Pope wrote:
> A good thing to remember is that any filter that is as
> selective as a given Butterworth filter will have a
> similar RMS delay spread as the Butterworth filter.
> So no free lunch on phase issues in many cases.

Pete Fraser replied:

Then robert bristow-johnson said:
> so then you'll get even *more* phase shift delay. (Butterworths are
> minimum phase and linear phase is not minimum phase unless it's a wire
> or a simple gain.)

True, but Steve and I were talking about RMS delay spread.

Pete

From: robert bristow-johnson on
On Jul 2, 7:55 pm, "Pete Fraser" <pfra...(a)covad.net> wrote:

> ... but Steve and I were talking about RMS delay spread.

"spread" from what? zero? or some mean delay? how is the mean
defined?

"RMS delay spread" hasn't been a parameter i've been familiar with.
is it a measure of overall phase nonlinearity?

just curious.

r b-j

From: Steve Pope on
robert bristow-johnson <rbj(a)audioimagination.com> wrote:

>On Jul 2, 7:55�pm, "Pete Fraser" <pfra...(a)covad.net> wrote:

>> ... but Steve and I were talking about RMS delay spread.

>"spread" from what? zero? or some mean delay? how is the mean
>defined?

>"RMS delay spread" hasn't been a parameter i've been familiar with.

>just curious.

Interestingly some of the literature defintions of RMS delay spread
I disagree with, but it basically goes something like this: if the impulse
response is:

(sum over i) (h(i) * (t - tau(i)))

then the average delay is

ave = (sum over i)(h(i)*tau(i) / (sum over i)(h(i))

and the RMS delay spread is

sqrt((sum over i)(h(i)*((tau(i) - ave)^2)).

>is it a measure of overall phase nonlinearity?

No, the phase can be linear but you can have a large RMS delay spread.

I'm interested if anyone doesn't like the expression I just gave above.
I've seen expressions that were not equivalent to this (I'm going to
say by Spencer).

Steve
From: Steve Pope on
Oops, let me fix this. I left out some absolute values.

the impulse response is:

(sum over i) (h(i) * (t - tau(i)))

then the average delay is

ave = (sum over i)(abs(h(i))*tau(i) / (sum over i)(abs(h(i)))

and the RMS delay spread is

sqrt((sum over i)(abs(h(i))*((tau(i) - ave)^2)).

S.
From: Greg Berchin on
On Fri, 2 Jul 2010 20:37:14 -0700 (PDT), robert bristow-johnson
<rbj(a)audioimagination.com> wrote:

>> ... but Steve and I were talking about RMS delay spread.
>>

>"spread" from what? zero? or some mean delay? how is the mean
>defined?
>
>"RMS delay spread" hasn't been a parameter i've been familiar with.
>is it a measure of overall phase nonlinearity?

Possibly useful: see US Patent 5375067 for a discussion of Central Time and RMS
Delay.

Greg