From: Dennis McDermott on
Thank you for your answers, I believe I may not have made myself clear
in my question, sorry

This problem is happening when a user uses the 'Filter By Form' button
on the menubar. I am not writing code at this point.

So on one PC the user clicks the 'Filter By Form' button, enters
*17/03/2010* into the date textbox, then clicks the 'Apply Filter'
button on the menubar.

One PC shows the form with all the records containing 17/03/2010 and
the other two show this error

"The expression you entered contain invalid syntax"
You may have entered a comma without a preceding value or identifier

So, the real question is why does the user get the expected result on
one PC and an error on 2 other PCs?

Dennis
From: Allen Browne on
Filter by Form is only an interface for entering filter values, so all the
issues mentioned in my previous reply are applicable. It will be unreliable
and inefficient. But you already know that.

You could go down the path of trying to figure out what is different between
the machine where it works compared to one where it doesn't. You may find a
different service pack of Access or of JET, or you may find the Regional
Settings (in the Windows Control Panel) is different and so the values are
treated differently, or you may find it is to do with other factors (such as
the actual entries the users are making.)

More to the point, is it really worth trying to find out why an unreliable
approach works sometimes and not others?

From: Dennis McDermott on
Thanks Allen,

Yes I agree that the most important thing to find out is why the PCs
are behaving differently, I know the values being entered are the same
as I am entering them, this database has not been delivered yet.

The PCs are using different OS's Vista 64 Bit (works) XP PRO (does not
work) I have also tried on a 32 Windows 7 PC, this works as well.

I am sure the Access SP's are the same, the regional settings are the
same, I am not sure how to check JET.

Dennis

From: Allen Browne on
For Access 2000 - 2003, look at the version of msjet40.dll.
It's usually in windows\system32.

For Access 2007, you nee the acecore.dll, in
Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Office12\

The GetJetVersion() function on this page will do it:
http://allenbrowne.com/ser-53code.html#GetJetVersion

Don't forget to check out the regional settings for dates in Windows Control
Panel too.

From: Dennis McDermott on
Thanks again Allen,

I used your code and this is the result

VISTA HOME PREMUIM JET VERSION 4.0.9511.0 (filter works as expected
here)

XP PRO JET VERSION JET VERSION 4.0.9511.0 (filter does not work as
expected here, same Jet Version as PC above, so it looks like its
something else that is causing the difference)

WINDOWS 7 JET VERSION 4.0.9756.0 (filter works as expected here)

Dennis