From: alberto.fuggetta on
Hi,

I'm trying to equalize a channel with sever multipath using a DFE (12,12)
with LMS adaption algorithm.
The relative power of the replicas are quite high w.r.t the main path. (max
-4 dB). The equalizer is catastrophic.
From the learning curve analysis I can observe that the error is still high
after processing the training sequence.
Morover, the forward filter coefficients are very small compared to the
feedback filter ones (10^-3 vs 0.2).
Is there any conclusion I can draw from these info?
Thanks

Alberto
From: Vladimir Vassilevsky on

alberto.fuggetta wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to equalize a channel with sever multipath using a DFE (12,12)
> with LMS adaption algorithm.
> The relative power of the replicas are quite high w.r.t the main path. (max
> -4 dB). The equalizer is catastrophic.
> From the learning curve analysis I can observe that the error is still high
> after processing the training sequence.
> Morover, the forward filter coefficients are very small compared to the
> feedback filter ones (10^-3 vs 0.2).
> Is there any conclusion I can draw from these info?
> Thanks

Feedback path adaptation is nasty nonlinear problem. Your filter either
falls into a local minimum or the adaptation is unstable.

Vladimir Vassilevsky
DSP and Mixed Signal Design Consultant
http://www.abvolt.com
From: cpshah99 on
>Hi,
>
>I'm trying to equalize a channel with sever multipath using a DFE (12,12)
>with LMS adaption algorithm.
>The relative power of the replicas are quite high w.r.t the main path.
(max
>-4 dB). The equalizer is catastrophic.
>From the learning curve analysis I can observe that the error is still
high
>after processing the training sequence.
>Morover, the forward filter coefficients are very small compared to the
>feedback filter ones (10^-3 vs 0.2).
>Is there any conclusion I can draw from these info?
>Thanks
>
>Alberto

Check the eigenvalue spread of the channel. If it is very high then LMS
will not perform well. Try to use RLS and see if you get any better
performance.

Refer to Proakis Comms or Haykin's Adaptive Filter Theory book.

Chintan
From: steveu on

>alberto.fuggetta wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm trying to equalize a channel with sever multipath using a DFE
(12,12)
>> with LMS adaption algorithm.
>> The relative power of the replicas are quite high w.r.t the main path.
(max
>> -4 dB). The equalizer is catastrophic.
>> From the learning curve analysis I can observe that the error is still
high
>> after processing the training sequence.
>> Morover, the forward filter coefficients are very small compared to the
>> feedback filter ones (10^-3 vs 0.2).
>> Is there any conclusion I can draw from these info?
>> Thanks
>
>Feedback path adaptation is nasty nonlinear problem. Your filter either
>falls into a local minimum or the adaptation is unstable.

Or maybe his symbol timing has not been locked down well enough for a one
sample per symbol equalizer to pull in. Trying 2 samples per symbol might
provide insight into the system's behaviour.

Steve

From: alberto.fuggetta on
Hi Steve,

already tried with 2 samples per symbol but the result does not change.
:-(
I also tried computing the received samples autocorrelation matrix, just
multiplying the samples vector for its complex conj.
Is it correct?